Found a defective FL-500S (images)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can see, the ADBV is sticking out by the threaded part half way. Shouldn't be there.

C3F586AC-FC5B-4D53-8A7A-FBAEF06E7E68.jpeg

5A633E93-942F-4523-A639-6A9B5D87113A.jpeg

F261AB48-0AB2-47C5-9323-62B4841E9C7F.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Good catch.
2. I definitely would not run the filter.
3. If you do communicate with Ford / Motorcraft, I would like to know their response.
4. Thanks for the post.

Originally Posted by dogememe
I'd send them an email or something with pictures. If I was Ford I'd wanna know about this.

Ford is fine with poor quality control.

Already returned it. Couldn't find a motorcraft contact number.

I only run motorcraft because of the Ford designed threaded end bypass and the factory bypass PSI for my Duratec 3.5.

Wouldn't another filter be technically inferior due to it fitting a wide range of vehicles with different bypass?

No. The frams are made specifically for the engines they are put on. I used a Fram Ultra XG3600 on my old Edge with the 3.5. Did full intervals with it and they looked great when cut open. Here is. Pic of a new one cut open next to a new motorcraft for a different vehicle.

A938EDDC-3430-4DE4-8E1C-262E7C1F6F98.jpeg

Originally Posted by advocate
No. The frams are made specifically for the engines they are put on. I used a Fram Ultra XG3600 on my old Edge with the 3.5. Did full intervals with it and they looked great when cut open. Here is. Pic of a new one cut open next to a new motorcraft for a different vehicle.

That is naive to think. The XG3600 fits the Duratec, also the dodge 3.7 and some industrial farm equipment. If the filter is designed for the engine, which engine is this filter designed for??

The pleat spacing on the FL-500S is tight just like that fram.

I think this is an interesting argument and Id like more people to chime in.

In other words, how can the Fram be specifically made for both the ford 3.5 and dodge 3.7? They would have different pressure bypass ratings.

Originally Posted by AntDeek
In other words, how can the Fram be specifically made for both the ford 3.5 and dodge 3.7? They would have different pressure bypass ratings.

Do you know this or are you guessing? I'm not sure bypass pressure is all that important.

Advocate is IMO correct on some things. The FL500S fits GM and other ford engines.

That is naive to think. The XG3600 fits the Duratec, also the dodge 3.7 and some industrial farm equipment. If the filter is designed for the engine, which engine is this filter designed for??

The pleat spacing on the FL-500S is tight just like that fram.

Now, did Ford design that filter specifically for that engine or did they grab a filter they had on the shelf and used it for a lot of vehicles? Same goes for the FL-1A, or any other OEM option.

I used a lot of Motorcraft filters over the years. In fact, the FL-1A was the first filter I used with an ADBV, and Ford accurately described that filter, early on, as an improvement over the competition (and their own originally specified product). However, given some of the quality control issues we've seen in the past few years, this "improvement over the competition" really isn't there.

A few years back, I had no problem using a Motorcraft on my G37, and did so. Now, I've really got no reason to, given some of these issues, not to mention pricing.

Obviously certain filters can fit many vehicles (100+). Why wouldn't they since most vehicles have similar oil pump output vs RPM, and many vehicles have the same filter mount threads and mount base diameter. Only filters that are "special design" by the aftermarket filter makers are some that have the bypass valve bumped up to 23+ PSI because the OEM filter is made that way. Filter manufactures will make these "special" filters if they believe they are going to lose a lot of sales. And who knows, maybe the OEM makes their filters out of the ordinary in hopes they will sell more because they are somehow "specialized".

I mean there has to be a reason for the threaded end bypass valve, no? I wish there was published data about the FL-500S bypass PSI to compare to other popular brands. I'm interested in what fords reasoning behind some of their filter decisions is.

I read somewhere here that the FL-500S is a Purolator One basically, and if that's true I'm sure that's perfect for a 7k interval. I don't like to extend it all the way to the OCI computer's 10k, just my own personal thing.

I read somewhere here that the FL-500S is a Purolator One basically, and if that's true I'm sure that's perfect for a 7k interval. ...

Well, if you mean they are both oil filters, then yes I believe it is basically a Purolator One... by just about any other measure - don't think so.

Here's one cut open, you be the judge.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4485116/1

I simply don't understand the compulsion around here for people to say manufacturer replacement filters "are basically ____" where ____ is some retail aftermarket filter. Why is it so hard for folks to grasp that if you are Ford or GM or Honda you can have someone make them to your specifications.

BTW, someone above mentioned a XG3600, that is an FL400S equivalent, the Fram for a FL500s is a PH/TG/XG10575.

I mean there has to be a reason for the threaded end bypass valve, no? I wish there was published data about the FL-500S bypass PSI to compare to other popular brands. I'm interested in what fords reasoning behind some of their filter decisions is.

I read somewhere here that the FL-500S is a Purolator One basically, and if that's true I'm sure that's perfect for a 7k interval. I don't like to extend it all the way to the OCI computer's 10k, just my own personal thing.

According to the Engineering Project Manager at Purolator, the FL-500S has a 17 PSI bypass valve.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2307599

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back