Will large displacement NA V-8s make a comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love V8's for the power and sound and I hope they stay around but I'm not optimistic. CAFE seems to drive everything vehicle related anymore and I would not be surprised if the V8's get phased out. I plan on keeping all of my V8 powered vehicles for as long as possible.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by dlundblad

Dodge is the only one with a V8 in a 4 door car. I hope that doesn't go away anytime soon. Last I knew, you can only get the AWD option with the V6 now so one might as well get something else. I hope this isn't a preview to upcoming attractions.

Cadillac CTS-V has supercharged 6.2L and 4 doors

as well as...

Audi A8
BMW M5
Chrysler 300
Genesis G90
Jaguar XJR
Kia K900
Benz S550
Porsche Panamera

Never really was a fan, but I recently read an article that they were going to discontinue the CTS-V.

I'm not interested in anything else that you mentioned. Not even the 300.

That is ok, they are replacing it...
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...50-hp-twin-turbo-v8-and-all-wheel-drive/

Interesting, this quote has me a bit worried though:

Also debuting is an all-new Cadillac 4.2-liter twin-turbo DOHC V8, the first of its kind for GM's top-level luxury brand. In 550-horsepower trim, this clean-sheet engine will power the CT6 V-Sport; a lesser, 500-horsepower version will find its way to non-V-Sport models.

Hot valley direct injected DOHC twin-turbo small displacement V8. With the track record of the HF V6 and the Northstar, it will be interesting how this pans out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Hot valley direct injected DOHC twin-turbo small displacement V8. With the track record of the HF V6 and the Northstar, it will be interesting how this pans out.

I'd consider myself a GM fanboy but you are completely right... I bet that new engine design isn't going to be nearly as reliable as the LS-based engines.

Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

I'd consider myself a GM fanboy but you are completely right... I bet that new engine design isn't going to be nearly as reliable as the LS-based engines.

That's the thing right? The LS is probably the best thing GM has going for powertrains. Something "new", well, we've been there before, with Cadillac, and it wasn't good.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
All I say is good riddance to the transverse v6.
Royal pain to work on.

Sizing up my two new 5.3L's during the first oil changes … despite plenty of shields etc … the oil and filter were both well protected yet easy to access …
The plugs are easy to reach and with the engine mounted fans now remote/electric … the front of the engine … belts, hoses, etc … are as well … The balance of the driveline components are in wide open spaces …
So yeah … indeed adios to my sidewinder CUV …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wtd
I love V8's for the power and sound and I hope they stay around but I'm not optimistic. CAFE seems to drive everything vehicle related anymore and I would not be surprised if the V8's get phased out. I plan on keeping all of my V8 powered vehicles for as long as possible.

That's just it, big V-8s CAN achieve decent MPGs...look at the LS1 powered Corvettes, they could easily get over 30 MPG...and that's an old pushrod design, imagine what they could get now days with today's technology...no reason to phase out the V-8...

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I must have missed the memo where V8s disappeared?

They didn't disappear, but they are disappearing...

I think the answer partly depends on the effect of promotion through motorsports. I can't believe NASCAR is still running pushrod motors. And think about this: the latest engine technology development is fuel injection... which has been available to the general motoring public for nearly 40 years. So as long as they are running NA V8 engines in "stock car" racing, they will probably continue NA V8 engines in stock vehicles for quite a while. Just a thought about the commercial/production side of this question.

Silverado 1500, F150, Ram 1500, Titan, Tundra, all offer V8's.

Not sure about the Titan, but most of the trucks have also over 30+ years been offered with V6 engines. Ford has twin turbo V6 engines, sounds to me like things are getting better?

CAFE and EPA are hard pressed to kill large displacement engines, and they'll get it done. I imagine in 10 years the only cars you'll be able to get them in are exotics that cost a pile of money. V6's are going to follow suit as well more than likely as 4 cylinder and turbos get stronger. Realistically, car enthusiasts are the only ones that care about V8's and things like manual transmissions. 95% of car owners don't even know how to lift the hood to check the oil, it gets them from point A to point B and that's all they care about.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Silverado 1500, F150, Ram 1500, Titan, Tundra, all offer V8's.

Not sure about the Titan, but most of the trucks have also over 30+ years been offered with V6 engines. Ford has twin turbo V6 engines, sounds to me like things are getting better?

The 3.5 eco gets the same or a bit less mpg than my ram 1500.

Originally Posted by CR94
Dinosaurs like them.

Ahhh yes, nothing like slagging a whole group of people by labelling them as "dinosaurs" to show just how "progressive" and "tolerant" you are eh? Better watch out, you might get frostbite with your nose so high in the air.

I don't see it happening. V8's will have their place for vehicles that demand the power for specific tasks but for everyday driving a four cylinder is enough. That is the direction that has been set now for almost 30 years.

In between there is the six cylinder engines. With today's technology these six bangers do quite well.

There will always be memories of the big boys. 383's and 454's with their thirst for fuel.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I think the answer partly depends on the effect of promotion through motorsports. I can't believe NASCAR is still running pushrod motors. And think about this: the latest engine technology development is fuel injection... which has been available to the general motoring public for nearly 40 years. So as long as they are running NA V8 engines in "stock car" racing, they will probably continue NA V8 engines in stock vehicles for quite a while. Just a thought about the commercial/production side of this question.

Not a single part of them is connected to an OEM vehicle . I see a format change if they are still around in 5 years .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back