2009 Camry hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can not drive a hybrid with a bad main battery. And when that battery goes bad it will set off an audio alarm that is sooooo loud that you will have to stop and get out of the car.

There are cheap repair places that will replace only the cell(s) that went bad for several hundred dollars and give you a six month or 12 month warranty on the battery. That leaves you with a battery pack that is mostly old cells and they will soon fail. The right way to fix a bad main battery pack is to replace the entire pack and that cost several thousands of dollars. Then you will be good to go for another 8 to 12 years. I do not know the exact price to put an entirely new battery pack in an 09 Camry hybrid. Check with a Toyota dealer and see how much it cost. I'm guessing around $4,000

That car is worth what ever a non-hybrid 09 Camry is worth minus the cost of a new main battery pack because the main battery is due to go bad soon.

Yikes, I'd run from that one! Way too complex. Even a V6 would be better. Much more power, more fun and less complex. Or get a year newer one, 2010 which is when it received a nice, mid-generation updating. The 4cyl engine received a boost in power plus I believe the trans is a 6 speed auto instead of the 5 speed auto. Basically, it the same mechanically as the new generation that came out in 2012.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yikes, I'd run from that one! Way too complex. Even a V6 would be better. Much more power, more fun and less complex. Or get a year newer one, 2010 which is when it received a nice, mid-generation updating. The 4cyl engine received a boost in power plus I believe the trans is a 6 speed auto instead of the 5 speed auto. Basically, it the same mechanically as the new generation that came out in 2012.

Hybrids are CVT.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Hybrids are CVT.

I was talking about the non-hybrid versions. Since I think those would be a better option for the OP.

Also, use a calculator to see the actual fuel savings, often times it doesn't make sense to buy a hybrid car financially, often times takes years to break even on the investment.

Gas is cheap and just because the fuel economy looks so much better doesn't mean it adds up to much.

For example, my aunt went from a VW Beetle TDI to a V6 Toyota Avalon. 38 mpg to 25 mpg. Costs $8 a week more to drive the Avalon (about 20,000 miles a year too) so it isn't breaking the bank.

So, a regular 2009 Camry gets a combined mpg rating of 25 mpg, at 15,000 miles a year and $2.25 a gallon that's $1,350 a year in gas, or $25.96 a week.

A hybrid 2009 Camry gets 34 mpg, or $992 a year in gas, or $19 a week.

I don't think it's worth saving $6 a week in gas and having the burden of a hybrid battery over your head.

I do not know the exact price to put an entirely new battery pack in an 09 Camry hybrid. Check with a Toyota dealer and see how much it cost. I'm guessing around $4,000

Toyota is now remanning the traction battery packs, I think they're $2Kish. You can also get a aftermarket Dorman or Cardone. If you live in a major city with a lot of cabbies or Uber drivers, there's always a shop who can replace the battery modules and rebalance the battery pack.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I do not know the exact price to put an entirely new battery pack in an 09 Camry hybrid. Check with a Toyota dealer and see how much it cost. I'm guessing around $4,000

Toyota is now remanning the traction battery packs, I think they're $2Kish. You can also get a aftermarket Dorman or Cardone. If you live in a major city with a lot of cabbies or Uber drivers, there's always a shop who can replace the battery modules and rebalance the battery pack.

The cheaper re-manufactured or repair of your existing battery pack is a short term cheap, but long term more expensive fix. They just replace the bad cells and leave you with a bunch of very old cells. Usually they have a one year warranty, after that you are left with a pack with mostly old cells that will shortly fail. If you want to have a vehicle that is reliable and not with the likely possibility of the battery failing again in the near future, then do it properly and replace the entire pack with all new cells. It is more expensive up front, but you end up with a vehicle that is reliable for 8 to 12 years.

Last edited:
Hello everyone sorry for late reply after reading your comments. I stop looking for hybrid Camry. After this I started looking for 2012 camry then 2012-2014 have issues with the transmission problem. So that made me worry. Is 2008 Honda Accord any good? I have owned Honda and Acura and they never gave me any problems other than regular maintenance. I’m just looking for that something good on gas mileage. Honda and Toyota only, no Nissan.

Originally Posted By: Rohan
Hello everyone sorry for late reply after reading your comments. I stop looking for hybrid Camry. After this I started looking for 2012 camry then 2012-2014 have issues with the transmission problem. So that made me worry. Is 2008 Honda Accord any good? I have owned Honda and Acura and they never gave me any problems other than regular maintenance. I’m just looking for that something good on gas mileage. Honda and Toyota only, no Nissan.
I haven't heard of Camry transmission problems. Accords? Yes.

Look into Sonatas. I got my Sonata almost a year ago for $9,990. Not really any common problems with them either, they're good cars. 37 mpg on the highway.

If you own long enough, depreciation won't matter. But I guess if you are into changing vehicles every couple of years, then it would.

Yes that make sense. I’m still researching about the car I want. I don’t want the first year of model because they have more problems than other 2nd, or 3rd year model.

I bought a 2008 Honda Accord EX brand new and the brakes were a problem out of the door. After having them worked on a few times and nothing working just bought the high end NAPA ceramics and replaced all rotors and pads and never had another problem. Oil was a issue burning 1q per 1000miles was normal per Honda but this was in the 80,000 range and up when it happened. Then in warm to hot weather there was a popping noise underneath the driver floor board pressing the brake coming to a stop then depressing the brake and applying the gas. Turned out to be the from upper and lower control arms both sides. It was in the shop for 4 months worth trying to figure out the problem and got Corporate involved. I was well out of warranty but they were nice enough to help pay for it. MPG 27 avg.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'd not pay that much.

It was a $22K car out the door back when it was new. It's lifespan is about 180-200K miles. Put another way, it has 73% of it's life used up. So it's cost should be 27% of new, or just under $6000.

Cost per mile matters. And used cars are often no bargain when it comes to cost per mile.

Things don't necessarily work that way....you can't predict life span for one. It could be shorter or longer. If the OP pays "full asking" and doesn't give him and once of trouble for several more years-one can argue it was worth it. OR-if he has a week and the thing blows up-it wasn't a good buy-was it?

Last edited:
I’m thinking of buying Acura TL sh-w 2010 with 124k mileage for $13,600 but I’m going to offer them $10k something whatever kbb said and I know they are not going to give me that if not then I will get 2012 Toyota collar l for $8600 with 105k mileage. I’m sorry I’m typing this as I’m walking into work.

So I didn’t get none because of Acura was involved with accident and Toyota does not want work with the price.

Does anyone know which years Honda Civic had a engine crack issue?

hello rohan, with all due respect, i suggest that you restart your car search from zero, with a clean sheet of paper. list your budget (either monthly payment or cash price, otd, insurance and maintenance costs) and necessary/nice to have attributes. then solicit some opinions here (you will get tons of replies). next go tirekicking and sitting at a carmax or big new car dealer’s used/cpo lot. find a few that feel good and test drive them. if you can have a trusted mechanic check out your few test drives, great. get the carfax from the seller. check monthly cost to own on edmunds. return to bitog with your top couple of choices. sleep on it. only then pull the trigger. cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back