Top Gear take on Engine Oil / OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: weasley
We're an odd bunch. We use miles for distance and litres for volume, but still measure fuel economy in miles per gallon. It is illegal to sell goods in 'old' units, except for milk and beer, which can still be sold by the pint. We are the only country in Europe using miles, so our speedometers have to (by law) be capable of showing mph and km/h, even though most vehicles will never go anywhere where km/h is required. However the neighbouring European countries do not have to have mph available on their speedometers, even if they come here.

It's interesting too that a US pint and a "British" pint are different. Why the heck do we use the term pint? ("British": not sure on the correct term, because I imagine it expands beyond you guys.)

Our average tire sizes make me laugh the most. 245/75-16 (245mm wide) (sidewall height is 245mm X .75) and 16 INCH tire.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
It's interesting too that a US pint and a "British" pint are different. Why the heck do we use the term pint? ("British": not sure on the correct term, because I imagine it expands beyond you guys.)

They're usually known as "Imperial" units. Our superior pint is 20 Imperial fluid ounces, compared to the inferior 16 US fl.oz pint. This is important when ordering beer by the pint.
grin.gif
Our gallon is bigger too, meaning our mpg figures are better
wink.gif
. We have a bigger ton too, which does rather impact on power:weight ratios.

Originally Posted By: weasley
We're an odd bunch. We use miles for distance and litres for volume, but still measure fuel economy in miles per gallon.

That does occasionally happen up here, but usually among the older crowd. They remember how many miles everywhere is, and miles are still visible on many speedometers. Fuel is sold in litres, but they don't understand litres per 100 km, so they convert the volume to Imperial gallons and go from there. As you mention, the Imperial gallon is larger, and that's what Canada used. Most of our gallon containers were rounded down to four litres in practice, with a few American gallons being available up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back