279,000 miles - Mitsubishi Mirage engine teardown - top end vs pistons

So , what’s the answer here for better piston cleanliness ? M1 5W30 EP ? Adding Rislone Oil conditioner (or something similar ?)

Pistons get very hot. I have said many times on this site that if you expect to get hundreds of thousands of miles on an engine without oil consumption, you have to keep the pistons, ring grooves, and ring lands clean. If you don't, then you get vertical scoring like you see in these cylinders because the oil control ring is packed with carbon. What ever oil was run couldn't handle the heat. Oxidative stability of the engine oil matters. If you trade cars often or lease, then it doesn't matter, but if you keep your vehicles for a long time and expect low oil consumption, then you gotta use an exceptional oil.

As an oil-focused forum, we tend to blame (and credit) oil for many different things when there are usually several other factors in play.

It wouldn’t be uncommon for a delivery vehicle to see extended idle times for example, which could cause such piston deposits. A cold running engine due to a stuck thermostat is another possible cause.

So , what’s the answer here for better piston cleanliness ? M1 5W30 EP ? Adding Rislone Oil conditioner (or something similar ?)
Guessing less idle time and/or shorter oci.

But it might have been for naught, if that wrist pin was wearing out and not due to “bad” oil.

An engine that small isn't exactly loafing when it powers a car at a sustained 70+ mph, especially if there are hills involved.

This just shows what proper maintenance and proper driving can do for any vehicle.
Arguably one the cheapest, and crappiest vehicles on the road and here we have a tear down at 279,000mi.
I drive high miles. I've driven multiple vehicles past 250,000mi. Could have gone more. On one I made a commitment to myself to trade it in at 250,000 miles cuz I was tired of driving it. Another one met it's demise with a deer. That seems to be my deciding factor when a vehicle needs replaced.

The quality o anyf oil has greatly improved over the past decade. The tolerance which engines and stuff are built to keeps getting more keeps getting more. You really can't build garbage anymore. Far to much competition in the automotive industry.

I still think no different oil would have helped in this case. It is a factory problem. Pistons get hot, yes, but a stagnant oil film will just cook on a piston, even with the best oil available. The hot oil must be migrated to the sump and replaced. Clearly that wasn't happening, for a long time. Very doubtful if it is just piston/ring design either.
Reminds me of these XOM slides:
Exxon Mobil technical_Page_18.jpg

(yes, this one uses altered contrast to make the differences more stark):
Exxon Mobil technical_Page_19.jpg

And if we look at Sequence VG, even "pass" doesn't look too hot:
1710037965935.jpg

It's successor, VH, "pass" doesn't look that great either:
Screen Shot 2024-03-09 at 9.35.02 PM.jpg

So, do I think a "better" oil might have kept things cleaner and prevented the oil consumption? yeah, possibly. I don't think we can dismiss that as a possibility.

This is an incredible feat this economizer engine has displayed.
Lagging close behind is Member Accent Abuser and his original TGDI engine at 230k and still going strong.

Someday, these two vehicles can promote a race against each other, allowing Member AutoMechanic to be the referee and follow-along from Start-To-Finish in his Yeller' Beetle Bug.

Pistons get very hot. I have said many times on this site that if you expect to get hundreds of thousands of miles on an engine without oil consumption, you have to keep the pistons, ring grooves, and ring lands clean. If you don't, then you get vertical scoring like you see in these cylinders because the oil control ring is packed with carbon. What ever oil was run couldn't handle the heat. Oxidative stability of the engine oil matters. If you trade cars often or lease, then it doesn't matter, but if you keep your vehicles for a long time and expect low oil consumption, then you gotta use an exceptional oil.
I agree 100% that’s why using a Quality Oil like Triax Lubricants or Any of the M1 variants is a Must .😎

Perfect explanation 👌 👍, I do the GDI valve cleanings,Gumout in crankcase right before oil changes and throw TT fuel ⛽️ with Redline Si-1. Oils used have only been Redline, Mobil 1 and @High Performance Lubricants ec30 as a top off right before oil changes. Currently at a dash over 320,000 as of today.

20240313_085612.jpg

Got to move that oil from behind the piston and through the oil rings. Perhaps a better designed piston and oil ring to move oil would have made a difference.

But still engines don't last forever and it seemed to have done well for a long time due to the relatively low miles on oil changes.

Waoo , impressive for a little car like this Mirage to achieve that mileage. I can believe the Mitsubishi 4G15 engine used on previous Mirage and other models can achieve that mileage, but not on this little 3 banger. Awesome.

Reminds me of these XOM slides:
View attachment 207581
(yes, this one uses altered contrast to make the differences more stark):
View attachment 207582

And if we look at Sequence VG, even "pass" doesn't look too hot:
View attachment 207587

It's successor, VH, "pass" doesn't look that great either:
View attachment 207588

So, do I think a "better" oil might have kept things cleaner and prevented the oil consumption? yeah, possibly. I don't think we can dismiss that as a possibility.
I see mobil 0w40 new life listed. Would all Mobil one oils clean as good? I know 0w40, extended performance are known too clean sludge.but the other Mobil oils?
It sure does show the differences from semi synthetics too fake full synthetics .and severe driving conditions .
I was gunna use semi synthetic again next oil change.but so thinking going back extended guard. Alot stop go traffic idiling here, months extreme cold or humidity. march-june good conditions , October to December cold but good for semi synthetic. Jan-feb harsh 27 degrees or colder , July September 97 plus degrees and huniditt and idiling stop go traffic ..Mobil oils are PAO? Clean much better than the others

This is a 2015 car, so even if the oil brand stays the same, the formula changed at least 3-4 times over the lifetime of this car. SN, SN+ SP and different iterations of addpack within those designations. I maintain it is an engine design issue that gave reason to open it up, rather than oil quality. The loose wristpin is a giveaway. Not much oil getting up there. What did get there was kept there and clogged the oil holes in the wristpin bore. The rest of the engine was very very clean. Doubt it was run too cold.How many other vehicles used the same fleet oil and did not experience piston coking over this same period?

Back