FRAM PRO 9688, 6,000 miles CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all good Merkava
smile.gif

Like I said in the other thread, these 2L Hyundai engines beat the tar out of oil and seem to all leave junk behind, even tho they aren't 'sludger' engines.

Originally Posted By: bandz7
Two questions: was the filter made on march 1, 2017? & was this filter made by Champ Labs because of this date coding?

Yes to question #1 and no idea to question #2 but
I'd guess filter made by FRAM

Is it true that if we see this amount of dirt in a filter there would also be a similar amount in the pan or under the valve cover(s)?

Car51 thanks for the cut & post.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Holy wide pleats Batman!

This shows that wide pleats cause stress, but since it is a fiber end cap instead of metal, the end cap deforms instead of media tearing. Maybe Fram really does know something about making filters.

and yes, that is a lot of stuff in the top of the can.

Great point.

How does anybody get so much "dirt" from such a new engine? I never saw anything like that in a filter, even at much higher mileage.

Originally Posted By: CR94
How does anybody get so much "dirt" from such a new engine? I never saw anything like that in a filter, even at much higher mileage.

Bad air filter?
Poor oil change interval?
Lots of short trips in the winter?

And while 120,000 miles is far from old, I would not say it is new either.

Originally Posted By: CR94

Lots of things affect this....

such as:
piston crown metal thickness
Ring end gap
Cylinder hone finish
PCV valve condition
ECU cold starting strategy
Exhaust port wall thickness

etc. etc, etc.

Considering the sludge looking oil, that filter was most likely at capacity and held up for 6k miles without tearing. Thanks for the C&P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back