That's all folks....last Aussie car produced today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow

GM did similarly with Holden...GFC "you are in your own"...coupled with restrictions on what they could sell where...Utes would have sold all over, but can't go there.

Why not? UTE's are the answer.

We invented it, you improved it. It was a possible world class solution for a lot of folks.

Corp did not get it, but we (users) did. Shame it could not have worked out ...

There is a guy down two blocks with a mint El Camino … but I have to think on that one … I’ll be back looking at those CUV equivalents to light trucks next week in Oz … but man have 4 door trucks become the norm in the USA… and I love driving a single cab 4WD like NO other … but people, dogs, and stuff happen … geez … you can’t hardly find regular cabs…

Conversely ~ much of the world embraces the Toyota\Ranger onward way … small truck for misc … or small cab/chassis for more work load … Then progress to small/large cab over … and they are used mainly for work … not urban cowboys with toys
So lots of places just don’t ramp up LT to HD truck in the same manner the US does … and they make it all work in concert …

The Ute was completely federalized and ready for sale here. When Pontiac went belly up, the Ute went with it. Same fate for the sport wagon.

We imported Holdens, and started assembling them in 1957, the last one assembled here was in 1990. Pretty popular here, the Cops have always used them...I don't like a late model Holden sitting behind me, I let them get past as soon as I can. I've only owned one, a 1971 HG Kingswood that I converted to CNG, it stayed in the family when we sold it to the inlaws. I've been fixing Holdens all my working life, the only one I have anything bad to say about is the dohc V6...after 120 years, you'd like to think they could do better, a lot better.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Personally, I don't see it necessarily as a bad thing. It's just something else that the next generation of humanity will just have to adapt to. Given how cheap communication & computing have become, there has probably never been a better time to skill yourself up or become creative. No doubt some will thrive and others not.

An an engineering mind with the "Knack" (Dilbert Reference), my daughter's leaning towards the arts, had me concerned...until I realised that en large, the engineers that I see coming out of Uni are doomed to having to totally re-invent themselves every 20 years at least, and try to grow in a diminishing pool.

So we are encouraging her music, dancing, singing, and art...which has helped massively in her dilligence and application in the sciences that I understand...she can evolve her career...and at 14, she's really really good.

Keep doing what you're doing...

Back in the 70's, there was me and my cousin Andrew. I was the conventional, boring one who did the whole go to school, go to uni (to do engineering), get a job with an oil company thing. Now, in 2017, two thirds of the oil refineries that existed when I graduated have disappeared. On the other hand, Andrew (who wasn't much of an academic), taught himself drumming. He joined a band who had a couple of number ones in the UK. He then burnt all his UK possessions and went over to the US, joined another band who had a couple of number ones in the US. He's now a music producer in Fresno, still very active and probably very rich!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: ATex7239

There are people I personally know, who work in automotive manufacturing, who think assembly workers should have the same wage as tradesmen (plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc.) Which is utter nonsense when you compare the job related tasks, training, and certifications require to do each respective job.

When low-skilled assembly workers unionize and/or demand higher wages, it sounds great in theory. But, they are unknowningly contributing to their own future layoff. It would be great if an assembly line worker straight out of high school with a little on-the-job training could make the same money as skilled tradesmen with yrs of experience and certifications.

Thing is, the men in the corner office are always looking to yank the legs out from under those well-paid, skilled persons. Many machine shop operators are just loading metal and pushing a start button. If the machine dislikes its output an error flashes. They hire "machine operators" at a lower pay grade than the old-time machinists who could also have made that widget manually. They feel little to no need to keep the more-skilled around, and pretty soon as a country we've lost that skill set and aren't competitive.

Corner office folks can be just as selfish wanting to line their pockets at other people's expense. But how is it any different than auto unions wanting more money while getting huge subsidies?

The market should decide what something or someone's skill is worth. Not feels, personal bias, and bailouts.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Sorry to hear that, I had heard that this was coming down the pike. We have also lost many US manufacturing jobs since NAFTA, GATT, and Permanent Normal Trade Relations with China, all signed by Bill Clinton. Our US astronauts are sub contracted out to Russia for launch at $81 Million a round trip, thanks to Obama.

The pres negotiates deals, congress approves them so plenty of Rs with their hands dirty with these agreements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back