Mobil 1 ATF being discontinued?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reference to its discontinuation I could find is from amazon.

What's so great about it? I typically avoid one-size-fits-all products.

How about asking them directly?

I've already sent them a message. We will see what they say. I wouldn't really consider this a one-size-fits-all ATF. It was always a DEX III fluid. But when DEX III was no longer a current standard they just changed the name. But if you read the data sheet, it is a Dex III fluid. I have a 2002 Toyota that calls for Dexron III so I've always used this ATF since new. 15 year and 200K+ miles later I'd prefer not to change if I don't have to.

I've used this ATF since about 1990 with very good results. I have never had a trans or PS pump fail with M1 ATF.

Geeze. Ok. I tweeted at them before I posted the message. We'll see if they respond. I usually have better luck that way than calling a toll free number and getting some entry-level CSR.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Geeze. Ok. I tweeted at them before I posted the message. We'll see if they respond. I usually have better luck that way than calling a toll free number and getting some entry-level CSR.

So I called the "entry level CSR"(I-800-ASK-MOBIL) you speak of and he re-assured me all is well with M1 ATF, and is in production with no plans to stop. The last time I bought it( last spring) was at AAP.
10.gif

Bitog is often like the internet, can't believe everything you read.

Last edited:
I used it for years in my 89 Accord. Honda used to highly recommend their own Z1 fluid, though, the dipstick on the Accord said "Dexron II." The transmission failed (bad slippage) at slightly over 300,000 miles. Would it have lasted longer using Honda's fluid? Who knows.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I used it for years in my 89 Accord. Honda used to highly recommend their own Z1 fluid, though, the dipstick on the Accord said "Dexron II." The transmission failed (bad slippage) at slightly over 300,000 miles. Would it have lasted longer using Honda's fluid? Who knows.

'How often did you change the ATF?

M1 ATF isn't that great anymore, given the competition. M1 ATF no longer meets some very important standards in modern transmissions.

There are better options out there, such as PP ATF, Castrol Full Synthetic, Maxlife, and all the other synthetic LV ATF's. The new formulas are backwards-compatible with the older specs with no problems
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

'How often did you change the ATF?

At 30,000 mile intervals. Given that I was using synthetic fluid that may have been excessive.

Actually it meets the requirements of Ford Mercon V. It also meets the requirements of the JASO 1-A specification, which is the basis for why I've been using it in Toyota and Honda transmissions. I have about 320,000 miles across 3 vehicles, all of which are still on their original transmissions.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
M1 ATF isn't that great anymore, given the competition. M1 ATF no longer meets some very important standards in modern transmissions.

There are better options out there, such as PP ATF, Castrol Full Synthetic, Maxlife, and all the other synthetic LV ATF's. The new formulas are backwards-compatible with the older specs with no problems
smile.gif

Please explain what "very important standards".

smile.gif

all the modern ones, like Dexron VI, Mercon LV, Honda DW1, Toyota WS aka JWS 3324, Nissan-Matic J/K/S, SPH-IV, that kind of thing
smile.gif

I use that Castrol Multi synthetic in a Dex VI app now - but if I had a pre Dex VI application I'd take the M1 any day.

In fact, M1 ATF is not the one hard to find for me - the Castrol is vanishing for the semi synthetic Dex VI ...
the 9 quarts I have left came from 3 stores ...

smile.gif

all the modern ones, like Dexron VI, Mercon LV, Honda DW1, Toyota WS aka JWS 3324, Nissan-Matic J/K/S, SPH-IV, that kind of thing
smile.gif

I think your confused about this. Many here believe the better ATFs focus in on a very auto manufacturers requirements. Saying a given ATF meets two dozen different specs doesn't mean it's a superior fluid.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

So I called the "entry level CSR"(I-800-ASK-MOBIL) you speak of and he re-assured me all is well with M1 ATF, and is in production with no plans to stop. The last time I bought it( last spring) was at AAP.
10.gif

Bitog is often like the internet, can't believe everything you read.

Tig,

Possibly butI doubt that entry level CSR has his morning coffee break with the decision makers at Mobil HQ.

No dosrepsect to them but they are employed to deliver a standard set of responses to a standard array of consumer questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back