Centric v Raybestos v Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tons of great feedback, thank you to everyone who contributed! To sum up a couple of themes, there's a fair amount of support for Akebono, Centric and OEM. I think I'm probably going to go with the Centric rotors, since they're 1/3 the price of the OEM rotors, which adds up around the whole car, and they're easy to swap out every time I do the pads. Pads look like they could be either Centric, Raybestos SGD or Akebono. To the poster that mentioned the SGD Raybestos, Rockauto has them mentioned as "economy grade", but says they're OE spec. I've assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the yellow "economy" tier on RA meant they were below OE spec. Is that not the case? With the Elantra, I think simpler tends to be better, especially since the primary driver of this car does not drive much more than to/from work, and drives very conservatively. I definitely don't want to skimp, but don't want to overspend on a wearable item where the difference isn't noticeable. Dust isn't a huge concern, but I would like something that isn't super crazy with the dust either.

As an aside, on the 2011 Corolla in my sig, I put in Duralast Gold Rotors and Pads a few months ago (decided one Saturday was a good time to do it and just got what was locally available, the rotors were stock, machined twice and grooved to heck and back). Absolute garbage. The rotors are warped out of the box, and the ceramic pads definitely lost some bite to the OEM Toyotas. I'm going to ride them out a while because the pulsation is only on highway stopping, and despite the bite they stop more than fine enough. If all goes well with the selections made for the Hyundai I will probably do the same on the Toyota next spring. The Toyota sees heavy stop/go traffic 3hr a day, 5 days a week, so I'd be looking for something with "Extended life" for that car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
You don't want to use Ceramic on vehicles spec'd for metallic.People think they are some outer-space-age material that's a miracle,they are not.They had to come up with a replacement for banned asbestos,and ceramic was it.They wont last longer or stop faster than metallic.They will be quieter and dust less,but that's all.

Unfortunately, asbestos is still around in brake pads.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/trtu796.htm

Oh, PS, sometimes you have to beat the snot out of the rotors with a big dead blow hammer to get them off if they've rusted and adhered to the wheel.

Friends don't let friends buy Centric.

Life's short. With Centric, it might be shorter.
(This post is meant as a humorous satire or parody only and does not in any way imply that Centric brake parts are unsafe. It is not anyone's opinion that Centric parts should be regarded as less than satisfactory. This post was made on a closed course in a desert island of a non-extradition treaty country by a professional race car driver. Do not attempt this post at home.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back