Brake pads for a older Chevy truck?

I’m helping a friend bring a 92 full-size Blazer back to life. Brakes are shot - rotors are rusted and pitted. I’m planning on pulling the wheels and checking the calipers but at the very least new rotors and pads.

The friend is planning on lifting the truck - it’s his “fun” project. Most friction seems to be Chinese or Indian made for this GMT400 application, save for Wagner and Raybestos Element3 Hybrid which is Mexican made. The truck won’t tow. I’m looking at a coated Centric 120 series or Powerstop Geomet coated rotors. For pads, I’ve had luck with Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-met but I’m giving either the EHT3 Hybrid Raybestos, or a semi-met Centric/DFC pad thought too.

Stick with Wagners, or give the Raybestos or other pads a shot? It seems like for that nearly 40-year old platform, not much has changed and brake parts are reasonably priced.

The Powerstop coated rotors are very good.

You can still get OE pads for your Blazer, but Akebono also makes great pads.

Powerstop brake and pad packages are very popular on the truck boards.

Don't buy anything fancy for the first set, they're just going to get burned up because you didn't replace the calipers.

Don't buy anything fancy for the first set, they're just going to get burned up because you didn't replace the calipers.
I’m going to check the calipers but I have a feeling they need to be replaced. Rock’s cheaper but given my luck with Cardone I’m going chain store for warranty reasons.

I just put one back on the road after sitting in climate controlled storage for several years. With the brakes, I had to replace the master cylinder, flush out all of the lines with lots of cheap DOT 3 fluid, replace the rubber hoses (due to dry rot/cracking) and replace the front calipers (gummed up). The drums on the rear still worked fine after a good flush, and some TLC.

Thankfully all of my rotors/drums/pads/shoes were still in good, usable condition.

As far as parts for your project, I've used the Element3 in the past, and had no complaints.

I’m going to check the calipers but I have a feeling they need to be replaced. Rock’s cheaper but given my luck with Cardone I’m going chain store for warranty reasons.

Lucky for you, Raybestos makes all-NEW calipers for your Blazer. No more putting with Cardon't lazy "rebuild" trash :D

I like a combo of Centric high carbon rotors and Wager OEx ceramic pads on any truck/suv. The high carbon rotors withstand the extra heat from stopping a heavier vehicle and are more resistant to warping and/or cracking. The OEx pads are among the best I've used yet. Next to zero dust, quiet and they STOP.

I like a combo of Centric high carbon rotors and Wager OEx ceramic pads on any truck/suv. The high carbon rotors withstand the extra heat from stopping a heavier vehicle and are more resistant to warping and/or cracking. The OEx pads are among the best I've used yet. Next to zero dust, quiet and they STOP.
I was looking at the OEx pads - not available for a GMT400.

Back