What's good, and not so good, in brake pads these days?

I haven't bought brake pads in a long time. I'll soon need pads for my 2016 Mazda CX-9. OE pads are expensive, and I'd like to go a step above OE quality to get clean, quiet, great performance, long lasting, easy on the rotors, but not high performance with its limitations. Price isn't a limitation if I'm getting my money's worth. I don't drive in a winter salt area often. Rotors look OK, but I'll take a closer look at both sides soon. These cars wear the rears faster than the fronts (had that on a Volvo years ago, also), but I'll change then all to keep the characteristics the same on all 4 corners.

I looked at the Raybestos Element3 EHT web page, they sound great, but the price is suspiciously low. I looked closer...made in China. Bendix is a grand old brand. Cheap, made in India. Wagner OEx seems to be a good choice. NAPA Adaptive One sounds great, but they're pricey (any idea who makes these for NAPA?). I know, there are a hundred others out there.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have been happy with the last few sets of the raybestos element 3 pads and rotors.

Just installed another set this time on a 2020 elantra a few months back.. and braking is smooth and progressive.

I havent heard much good or bad about those wagners but they are made in USA (or maybe just assembled in usa? who knows?)

Bendix Blue, Police & commercial/industrial pads. Kind of pricy, better than OEM, non-fading at higher speeds, if you DON'T drive like Mario Andretti, long lasting. I like them. Some applications available on Rock Auto.

I have done several DIY brake jobs in 15 years and never really paid attention to the material. Cheap, expensive, organic, ceramic. The success has always been determined by the quality of the work itself. Don’t cheap out by resurfacing rotors, ALWAYS replace them. Lube things properly. Move on to more important things in life. Good luck with the mazda.

Raybestos Element3 are really good. Here recently my go to has been the Napa Silent Guard. They have a blue strip on them. Excellent pads. I’m actually installing some this weekend on at least one vehicle maybe two. We haven’t had any complaints on them at work and they appear to be low dust as well. Great pads. I recommend ceramic as long as your rotors are rated for them.

I’m my opinion it’s hard to go wrong with any brand these days. Every parts stores pads are good as long as you buy at least the mid tier or higher.

I have recently been converted to Powerstop Z23 Evolution brakes. They are quiet, extremely dust free, and have good braking force. I can't speak for wear life yet, as I haven't had them long enough. But they are my go to brake pad now.

Raybestos EHT has replaced akebono as my go-to. Their bite is quite good while dusting is almost as minimal as akebono ceramic. They also dust grey instead of brown. the only drawback I’ve had is this - on a vehicle that already has a lot of brake grip, such as my Lexus with large rotors, I rarely had to press in hard enough to fully seat them, and pulsation would develop unless I routine did intentional hard stops. Akebonos may have been a better fit as a DD. BUT, on aggressive driving days, they were sooooo gooooood. Like butter.

I also have them on my f150 which used to have regular tow duty. Fabulous pads in that application too. Endless confident braking power, easy to modulate.

Napa Adaptive One are made in China.
Most of the Bosch pads seem to be made in Mexico.

The Mazda OE pads are pretty good. Other than cost, I don't see any of the aftermarket solutions offering a better performing pad.

I've been using Akebono for the last several brake jobs if I can't obtain OEM.

Take one for the team, try something unusual and report back. TRW please. Made in Europe by ZF.
Got them on my Golf. They are what the dealer sold me. They are indeed brake pads and they brake pad like brake pads.

20230810_190452.jpg

Bendix Blue, Police & commercial/industrial pads. Kind of pricy, better than OEM, non-fading at higher speeds, if you DON'T drive like Mario Andretti, long lasting. I like them. Some applications available on Rock Auto.
Indian made by MAT Roulunds. Also similar as Duralast Gold/CMax, Wearever, BrakeBest Select and the value line from Mercedes.

Back