Best Synthetic Oil & Best BANG For Your "$"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live:

ST/5qt is $17

PP/5qt is $20

Mobil1/5qt is $23

IMHO, PP has a better additive package for only $3 more. Mobil1, for $3 more, doesn't offer much more protection over PP.

I have consistently used PP in the past. I am currently using Mobil1, thought I would give it a try. Oil consumption with PP was about a 1/2 quart in 3k miles. Oil consumption with Mobil1 is 1 quart in 2100 miles. My vehicle, a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan has consumed oil since new. Some sources say this isn't normal, some say that it is (we just aren't "used" to the fact that some cars use oil). Oil consumption with conventional oil (Havoline, Motorcraft, Castrol) was about 3/4ths of a quart in 1200 miles. I will be switching back to PP on my next OCI. It seems to work best in my application and is a good value.

Last edited:
I like your thinking - cheapest synthetic rules! The title of this thread is "Bang for the Buck", now considering that:

Many of us have taken advantage of synthetic oils purported longer change intervals ( I use 20K changes with Mobil 1 0W20)
and have vehicles with nearly 300K miles, motors are quiet, tight, burn no oil, etc.....

These cars are now past 15 years old, and ready for retirement, despite strong motors. How can Amsoil and the high priced alternatives get on the "bang for the buck list" ? Will the dump give me more money if I tell them I used it?

Pennzoil, QS, Mobil 1, Supertech and others simply provide plenty of protection for most applications.

Amsoil ACD. Great add pack, no VIIs, etc. Very cheap for what it offers.

Redline.... Not cheap but you know exactly what you're getting. A real grp V synthetic with a great add pack. To me, that's worth a few extra pennies.

Your NAPA store in Chamberlain should have Their brand of syn. oil for sale this month for $2.99 this month. Its made by Valvoline.

If it's solely about bang for the buck, why would you leave out Mobil and Castrol, and include Amsoil XL, which is actually more expensive (sans the claim of 25k OCIs)...

I think I have finally unlock the CODE....for my non-euro cars, I think I have found a happy medium between money and quality synthetic, which brings assurance of sufficient engine protection and performance...

My Corolla has over 230K Km's and I had recently started to felt mild vibrations upon holding the steering, I wanted the oil which is thick enough to smoothen engine operation but at the same time have very good cold flow and will allow me to do extended OCI's

This is what I recently did after much much research and comparisons...

1L GC + PP + Bosch Premium Oil Filters (Sine P1 is not available in Canada) = 6-9K Miles OCI's (would prefer little longer OCI's if I had not been using K&N Air Filter in my Corolla)

I got them all on Sale, and did this oil change about 4 months ago, I have been keenly observing my Corolla, car seems to run smoother but at the same time is not sluggish, fuel economy is excellent and oil did not burn (extremely tiny amount of oil loss)!

I guess this is it...for my BMW I just switched to ESP 5W-30 from GC! and have not observed any difference other than, increase in fuel economy, and I do not know if this has to do with fresh oil change or ESP being a more modern oil!

I wonder what folks have to say about this...as far as I am concerned I am very pleased.

Thank you!

Everyones application, vehicle, climate, and driving patterns are different and will warrant different oils/filters for maximum wear protection.

Only time will tell if your choice was right... Not even UOA's can tell the health of your engine. Even with trending it's next to impossible.

Glad you found your combination.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I know Steive, but I am sure there must be huge number of people who can benefit from this MAGICAL Combination
wink.gif

Anyways Steive did you happen to stumble upon this discussion topic..."Resolute" posted the AVERAGE data of how some oils performed at 1000 miles....shockingly RED LINE's results were disaster...i simply cannpt put my mind around it....

check it out...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1637420#Post1637420

Where outright oil performance and engine protection is less important than performance per dollar, the cheapest A3/B4 you can find is the 'best' oil.

PP, on sale $4.99 @ NAPA plus $2 mail in rebate per quart = $2.99 quart.

Can't forget the "Anything Synthetic" at the year end auto zone $2 per quart clearance sale.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
8 year old thread comes back to life. It's like The Walking Dead, but less entertaining.

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

It remains a valid topic.
Don't like?
Don't read.
IMHO, Castrol Magnatec at Wally is the best buy ATM for those who want to avoid MIRs.
The SOPUS MIR remains the best deal out there for those who don't mind MIRs.
The M1 MIR was even better, but ended 5/31. It'll be back in the fall.

Best syn, for me, is the cheapest of:
PP
QSUD
M1
EDGE
VSP

If I decide to go conventional, I usually go PYB.
Can't really go wrong.

A 2009 thread risen from the dead.

The best bang for the buck changes so much you have to look ahead. Sales, rebates, and clearances give us the best bang for the buck.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It remains a valid topic.

It is nice to be reminded of how some things have changed and how some have remained the same. My Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 CJ-4/SM was the best bang for the buck around here, and still is in some ways, but CK-4 changes have lowered the bang factor a bit.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back