Toyota Tacoma and Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both models hold their value. If I didn't have a towing requirement, I'd be all over a Taco. But, it's been a great truck. It's reliable and easy to work on, and at 150,000 still tows heavy loads well without missing a beat. I prefer the older models style-wise - I have been solidly against the "look at me" styling of the newer models, across all of the oems. We plan to take this one to 200,000 miles, with towing, and will evaluate then whether we should replace or just keep using it. If it will work for us then, I'll look at a Taco, and that diesel colorado. Tundra needs to "lose some weight" before I give it a serious look in the future. If I have to stay fullsize, I'll be looking at the F150 first for MPG and we'll see where the Tundra stands. I have nothing against GM, but the off-center steering wheel and dash just drives me nuts - can't do that.

I'm an easy driver, my commute is a smooth 45-50 mph, 15 mile drive. I don't run the A/C much. Mine is a 2wd. I'm lucky to see 16MPG. It is a thirsty little pig, and I will absolutely consider MPG when buying next. $ will go back up, and even if it doesn't, it's just dumb to waste it.

-m

Have you sat in a Tacoma? I do not like their seating position. Very uncomfortable for me. The Tundra however felt nice. I do not own either but was at a dealer checking them out.

The third gen issues are pretty inflated on the internet, usually by second gen owners. If you check over at the Tacoma World forums you'll find plenty of people that are perfectly happy with their 3rd gen Tacos (me included).

I too, looked at both the Tundra and the Tacoma. Most of the advice you have received so far is pretty spot on. I chose the Tacoma because I only needed relatively light towing ability and the Taco was more manageable in tight spots. I also had a great ownership experience years ago with a 1988 Toyota pickup.

Back when I bought two years ago, I was initially going to wait for the new '16s until I saw and read about the '16s. I ended up with a 2015 MT access cab v6 4x4 and I have been very happy with it.
2016-07-15%2004.34.54-XL.jpg

This is about the max that I tow. I estimate about 2500 pounds and the Tacoma had no problem over 1500 miles from Florida to Vermont.
2016-06-22%252006.24.19-L.jpg

Good luck with your choice, I don't think that you can go wrong either way.

I own a Gen 1 Tacoma with 166K miles. The only repairs have been rear axle seal, O2 and MAF sensor. I bought a 13 Tundra new. It's a great truck and very comfortable but a little hard on gas despite going with the 4.6. The only advice I have for you is take care of your frame. Keep it clean underneath year round. I use an electric pressure washer. Also consider applying Eastwood internal frame coating to the box sections of your frame. Two cans should do the job. As for the rest of the frame look at KBS frame coat, POR, or some other ones out there. It's a messy job and surface prep is key. Consider removing the bed to apply. An easier alternative is to apply Fluid film every fall. Gen2's have weak leaf springs. I think there is a recall to address it. Otherwise, you made a good choice.

You are correct. The Tacomas are not the most comfortable of vehicles and the Tundra is like sitting in your sofa at home. I own both. I know a guy who carries a 1911 on him all the time. I asked him if it's uncomfortable. He told me it not supposed to be comfortable but rather comforting. Same with a Tacoma.

I can tell you right now the F150 will be better on gas. My nephew has an aluminum 16 F150 5.0 loaded and it gets better mileage than my 4.6 Tundra. I thought my 4.6 was quick but his truck can run circles around mine. The Tundras are great trucks and very reliable as you know but they're also very outdated. They are dinosaurs and really haven't change much since 2007. If you can, wait for the redesign which should be available in the fall of 2019. They will be getting new, frames, engines and should be better on gas. In the meantime, if you needed to buy a full size truck today, I'd probably suggest an F150 due to the fact its more up to date and more efficient.

What engine do you have? I'm getting 17MPG back and forth to work driving 75-80 most of the way and mine is 4wd with the tow package. I've gotten 20 on extended trips from central PA to NC when I slow down to about 70-75.

Well, you know as I do that it's all about the gearing. MDS I'm sure helps too, as does actually updating the vehicle every once in a while (aero tweaks).
wink.gif

Not sure about the hate on the 5.7's, when I was on the forums all the hate was towards the 4.6's. Lesser motor that did not seem to deliver better mpg, certainly delivered less performance. I'd agree, the flex fuel 5.7's seemed to be troubled by low mpg and some had cam tower leaks; I'm guessing 5.7 and 4.6 had the same rate of water pump failures (but since only 10% have the 4.6 it's probably just rarely heard of--only cheapskates buy the 4.6). I'd rather have the 5.7 as I think (know?) it'd take hills better.

I have a 2011 Tundra DC, 4WD with the 5.7L and tow package. I really did not buy it expecting good gas mileage from a truck that tips the scales at nearly 3 tons with 380 HP and 4.30 gearing. However, if I keep the RPM's under 2K and ideally under 1800, the truck will return surprising mileage. I have done it several times on our trips from VA to Hilton Head, SC. It is about a 350 mile trip and my wife and I just take our time.

I'm happy with it and would buy another but I figure I will put at least 200k on this one before I get rid of it.

Most of my improvements would be with the interior. The seats could be a little wider or maybe my tail could be a little less wide
laugh.gif
and the overall layout of the HVAC system controls could be a little better designed.

Another thing is GM and Ford seem to have a little better paint jobs. The Toyota seems to chip fairly easy.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the Tacoma lately. Toyota resale value is remarkable. If I were to buy new again I would highly consider Toyota just for the resale value they retain. It's unreal. Testament to their quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back