Is 5w-30 the perfect oil for most cars on the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
OVer decades of use I will tell you a decent 10w30 works tremendously well in about anything you can find to pour it in. But with today's oils the 5w30 is better than ever and has pretty much taken over that spot.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
OVer decades of use I will tell you a decent 10w30 works tremendously well in about anything you can find to pour it in. But with today's oils the 5w30 is better than ever and has pretty much taken over that spot.

I agree with this but would like to point out that within brand the 10w-30 is going to have a lower noack and less VII than the equivalent 5w-30. The 5w-30s are very good, but the 10w-30 does offer some benefit in places where temps stay above 0F

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I agree with this but would like to point out that within brand the 10w-30 is going to have a lower noack and less VII than the equivalent 5w-30. The 5w-30s are very good, but the 10w-30 does offer some benefit in places where temps stay above 0F

I still run Maxlife 10w30 in my "tank" aka 97' Bonneville without issue in Pittsburgh area
wink.gif

My god daughter's Monte Carlo technically has 10w-30 on the fill cap, but I nudged her to 5w-30. There were some mighty cold days, and she doesn't always get to plug in. I told her it's best to stick to it year round, and not get creative or careless.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back