It looks like GM is called out....................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
ever been to Lima peru, or big cities in Turkey?

you can not in winter see down the street

I went to Lima in the winter. I thought overall Peru was super clean.

There you go, bringing first-hand knowledge into the argument!

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I can't wait for The Donald to disband the EPA.
Lets hold our breaths.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out if the allegations are true and to compare and contrast the punishment to GM vs VW.
I don't anticipate a Subaru or Mazda diesel being available in the US anytime soon in the wake of all the bad publicity.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
If everyone is cheating on the tests, maybe the tests are stupid.

Yes.
I guarantee that every automaker has open emissions compliance issues with the EPA.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Emissions control by the Government versus emissions claims by vehicle manufacturers is a cat and mouse game. The game will slow down or cease as alternative fuels and energy sources become more popular.

It's a self-fulfilling mission the EPA is on. They ratchet down emissions standards to force automakers to make alt-fuel cars. It's gone all out of control since Congress decided to let unelected bureaucrats at the EPA make policy. Now they tell us what appliances to buy, and are working on emissions standards for backyard barbecues. If they continue, the average person would flunk HC emissions tests 4 hours after eating a helping of refried beans.

not surprising, since Bosch supplies parts to almost every car company.

Maybe K&N will make a hi-flo DPF?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
From my non-expert point of view, I see the current EPA somewhat the same as some unions - they started out with a good purpose and have done plenty of good, whether it gets publicized or not. However, they've both gotten out of hand, each in their own ways, and are out for any blood they can have. ...

... the EPA has certainly killed off or run off (offshore) some good companies, ideas, and designs that there was no better alternative to, all in the name of every ounce of fuel economy that can be had, and it has had its detractors.

Agreed, these are valid points.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It's a self-fulfilling mission the EPA is on. They ratchet down emissions standards to force automakers to make alt-fuel cars. It's gone all out of control since Congress decided to let unelected bureaucrats at the EPA make policy. Now they tell us what appliances to buy, and are working on emissions standards for backyard barbecues. If they continue, the average person would flunk HC emissions tests 4 hours after eating a helping of refried beans.

They will keep pushing new standards so they can continue to justify their continued existence.

I can see it now... one day we'll all be walking around wearing catalytic converters, complete with a Check Underwear light when the catalyst efficiency goes below spec.
crazy2.gif

Also they better keep their hands off my grills, especially the charcoal one. Currently I'm not aware of any federal regulations targeted towards residential grills and smokers, but there certainly are local regulations in many places for restaurants in many cities. It is getting harder and harder to find real hard wood smoked BBQ in a lot of places. Most places use gas and that liquid smoke flavoring. Also some people have posted reports of having problems with uppity neighbors calling the police over smoke while grilling or making some delicious BBQ in their own back yard.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
If everyone is cheating on the tests, maybe the tests are stupid.

Yes.
I guarantee that every automaker has open emissions compliance issues with the EPA.

I think you're right.

It'll be interesting to see what sanctions are imposed on a domestic company deep in debt with the government, as compared to an international competitor.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
EPA has its usefulness, but at this point only as a governing and monitoring body. Their power to make new rules should be taken away pronto, at least for the foreseeable future.
this and C.A.R.B here in California. They have banned trucks built before 1995...So everyone had to replace equipment for no other reason except to stay within the law.

Well not quite. It depends on which Air Basin you are in and special handling areas like Ports where trucks used to idle 24/7 ...

Ag can still run older trucks part time. Full time operators must comply with latest requirements...

Perhaps the reason Ford is not producing cars with diesels here in the US, is the controls our EPA demands can not possibly be achieved.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I can't wait for The Donald to disband the EPA.

What a stupid idea!!!

Without them, greedy corporations would do anything and everything in their power to save a buck- and if that meant dumping all manner of pollutants into our air, water or ground- they'd do it in half a heartbeat. They have in the past and will do it again if allowed. Perhaps not on the same scale as before but rest assured, they will.

How about a better idea??? Maybe reign them in some??? Loosen some of their draconian regs on SOME areas and better enforce others.

I agree with you to a point....the point being that government BUREACRACIES are also run by humans who are greedy and protect their turf (and salary) and sometimes get OUT of CONTROL.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
EPA has its usefulness, but at this point only as a governing and monitoring body. Their power to make new rules should be taken away pronto, at least for the foreseeable future.
this and C.A.R.B here in California. They have banned trucks built before 1995...So everyone had to replace equipment for no other reason ethan to xcept to stay within the law.

THANK goodness for CARB. I grew up in the 60's in the San Gabriel Valley and remember as a child running around outside and my throat hurting. I remember not be able to see the San Gabriel mountains not twenty miles away because the air was so dirty. Let's see- in California we have triple the amount of people- 4 times as many cars and the air is cleaner today than it was in the 60's. Yea- CARB has been totally ineffective. Sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back