The Future of Automotive Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excerpt from an editorial at Driving Vision News:

Quote:
...The last ten years have brought fantastic advances in lighting technology, portending great possibilities still to come. We have an increasingly clear picture of the next five years with the likes of ADB and matrix and pixel light, but which of the new technologies will gain serious traction in the next five years, and how will they shake out in terms of applications, segments, and regions?
And what about the view further down the road in the 5-to-15-years timeframe for vehicles being conceived today and tomorrow? For market launches in this period, there's much more uncertainty about the lighting technologies that will be chosen: LED, surely yes. Laser, maybe. LCD, DMD, MEMS, micro AFS, LCOS, OLED, holograms...others not yet imagined...it'll definitely be a mix, but what mix? Too, there's also uncertainty about the arrival time of new functions related to vehicle autonomy. And the digitalisation of lighting will also offer many opportunities in defining new applications, new business models, and new partnerships...

http://www.drivingvisionnews.com

I want headlights that move with the steering of the front end, but no mechanical linkage.

I want a backup light that really lights up the area behind and to the sides in a large and useful pattern.

I don't care what they are as long as they have a long, long life, are bright but don't blind oncoming traffic.

Finally, I want a bright light for the engine compartment so I can see in there at night.

All those led's that surround headlights or tail lights and curl around the trim are just plane useless.

The only trouble with some of the fancy new lights is the cost to replace one if it gets damaged. no more $6 bulbs from AA.

Headlamp lenses should be more durable in the future

Quote:
The [SAE] Headlamp Lens Durability task force is coodinating tests with different lens materials (polycarbonate, acrylic) with and without annealing, and different coatings, to get a handle on ways to bring headlamp lens durability more in line with the long service life of modern cars and LED headlamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back