Are thinner oils damaging MB Bluetec engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Tipo won car of the year back then, it was the most roomy, most comfortable hatch in late 80s. The 1.8 and 2.0 16v were very capable cars- if not as inspiring to drive as the older, lighter cars.

Now compare that to the mk2 Golf.

Let's not even begin with Lancia Delta hatchback, car had rear multilink in 1979 with road manners that VWs of that era could only dream about.

And 75?. Seriously? One of the most sought after affordable youngtimer today. For a decent, but non restored one, you will pay 5K Euro. And to freshen her another 5K. That will buy you a lot of 80s Passats.

Seriously? Tipo? A plastic car whose dash would disintegrate after 3 years. A lot of [censored] cars won car of the year award.
Mk2 Golf would run on anything. I am definitely not fan of one, would never buy it, I actually hate it. But comparing quality of Golf mk2 and Italians from 80's is like comparing North Korean computer with Apple. 75 is now collection car. That is far different from car that you use on daily basis.

Lol, if you want plastic car that dissolve on itself upon half a decade of use look no further than mk3 Golf.

I just looked at a 07 Passat Comfortline with 190K km , first and only sucker, bought new in Rijeka. Rust on a boot lid, now that's funny. How can a car rust here?
New clutch, DMF, handbrake solenoids, cambelt, rear top mounts and 2500 Euro later all good.

Tipo won car of the year back then, it was the most roomy, most comfortable hatch in late 80s. The 1.8 and 2.0 16v were very capable cars- if not as inspiring to drive as the older, lighter cars.

Let's not even begin with Lancia Delta hatchback, car had rear multilink in 1979 with road manners that VWs of that era could only dream about.

And 75?. Seriously? One of the most sought after affordable youngtimer today. For a decent, but non restored one, you will pay 5K Euro. And to freshen her another 5K. That will buy you a lot of 80s Passats.

Seriously? Tipo? A plastic car whose dash would disintegrate after 3 years. A lot of [censored] cars won car of the year award.
Mk2 Golf would run on anything. I am definitely not fan of one, would never buy it, I actually hate it. But comparing quality of Golf mk2 and Italians from 80's is like comparing North Korean computer with Apple. 75 is now collection car. That is far different from car that you use on daily basis.

Lol, if you want plastic car that dissolve on itself upon half a decade of use look no further than mk3 Golf.

I just looked at a 07 Passat Comfortline with 190K km , first and only sucker, bought new in Rijeka. Rust on a boot lid, now that's funny. How can a car rust here?
New clutch, DMF, handbrake solenoids, cambelt, rear top mounts and 2500 Euro later all good.

I still cannot believed you referenced Tipo as an example of a good car.
When I said plastic, I was referring to plastic trunk. They were build so good, that I have not seen one in like 10 years. Probably they rusted to the point of unrecognizable on junkyards too.
Boot lid? Accident? flood? etc.
By the way, Golf Mk3 you can still find as police vehicles with some 800K on them! I would never buy Golf, but seriously, comparing to Tipo is like I said, comparing North Korean computer to Apple.

I still cannot believed you referenced Tipo as an example of a good car.
When I said plastic, I was referring to plastic trunk. They were build so good, that I have not seen one in like 10 years. Probably they rusted to the point of unrecognizable on junkyards too.
Boot lid? Accident? flood? etc.
By the way, Golf Mk3 you can still find as police vehicles with some 800K on them! I would never buy Golf, but seriously, comparing to Tipo is like I said, comparing North Korean computer to Apple.

Tipo actually had galvanised body as it was build on a TIPO 2 chassis- hence the name.
Earlier car rusted like [censored], the Ritmo, Regata were real pigs. Tipo however was not, and most certainly did not rusted more than others.

Let's just say we disagree on this.

I feel like I'm in a time machine following you and edyvw in this thread. You are bringing me back to my childhood. I love it! I would like to know the answer to the OP though. LOL.

The short answer?nope it isn't the motor per say. The trouble (usually) is at the assembler end for one end of the trouble .most of those assembler Re not nearly paid enough. So what would you do if you were paid by the dozen
You cut corner. Like don't roll rubber . Don't put this or that.most of the time the design of the vehicle is insanely smart .but if you got small part from third party supplier you begin to have issue . No wire should ever be within an inch of any metal . Or metal tube.
Second part : The fuel . Now a day it's comon to have bio diesel .best idea would be for zero bio diesel . Sadly this would also hurt your engine . (not enough lubricity in today's diesel . Best number ? 3% bio .sadly in USA it's not existing .closest is 2 % in pa .bio has one major issue .it love water. Some of the oil are also water friendly in very specific situation. Let's say you fuel at a 20% biodiesel station (very common in usa)you WILL have a lot of water .so anything that interact with water ? Might pre ignition etc .on top of this the 20% bio is so good at cleaning it even clean weather you Want it too or not .at 20% ?don't sweat it it will be toro .too toro.this is why if you can its preferable to add lubricity your self and buy zero % bio diesel .more hassle but it prevent some of the problem

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B320i
20W60? Some people are just nuts.

We interrupt this programme to bring you Penrite's 25w-70 Mineral Oil.

Regular programming now continues.

I was referring 20W60 in MB diesel.
I know there are thicker oils, but no one is using it in MB diesel.

Many of you are aware of Dodge Ram issuing a TSB on the EcoDiesel, V6 Turbo. They now allow HDEO diesel oils.....and I have heard that every dealership is dumping in 5w40 for oil changes.

I wonder if this change is related to the engine failures, that they fear has to do with the Low SAPS oils (0w30 and 5w30)??????

DPF be [censored].....I am running 5w40 in my EcoDiesel, cause I want this engine to go 300k miles plus.

Wonder how many well informed Benz owners will move to 5w40's as well??????

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Many of you are aware of Dodge Ram issuing a TSB on the EcoDiesel, V6 Turbo. They now allow HDEO diesel oils.....and I have heard that every dealership is dumping in 5w40 for oil changes.

I wonder if this change is related to the engine failures, that they fear has to do with the Low SAPS oils (0w30 and 5w30)??????

DPF be [censored].....I am running 5w40 in my EcoDiesel, cause I want this engine to go 300k miles plus.

Wonder how many well informed Benz owners will move to 5w40's as well??????

Nope, it has to do with poor engine design. 5W40 is just attempt to hide the problem.

You, being Bosnian, and me being littoral Croatian could never agree on this. You guys simply ADORE your VWs, Audis and BMWs, no matter how problematic they can be.

laugh.gif
I must admit that I had to google "littoral" thing.....first i was like.....oh god please not another new breed of Croatian after the war (beside purgers and dalmatians)
laugh.gif

Instead of fighting...lets read...its funny book....somewhere "littoral" on beach towel
laugh.gif
with cold beer near by!!!

https://znevistic.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/boris_dezulovic_-_jebo_sad_hiljadu_dinara.pdf

E odoh ja na siktar kafence
coffee2.gif
grin.gif

No fighting at all. I have little Yu in my house: me being half Slovenian, half Croatian and my better half is of Bosnian decent. So I know their preferences in motor vehicles. Guess what car her brother drives now- A3 FSI. My mother-in-law: currently seeking for some VW or Audi.

the oil spec for mb bluetec diesel is 229.52 which is 0w30 and 5w30 which seems thin to me.
the previous spec was 229.51 which allowed for 0w30 5w30 0w40 and 5w40
i am personally using amsoil 5w40 diesel oil
09 gl320 bluetec

Originally Posted By: fireman1073
the oil spec for mb bluetec diesel is 229.52 which is 0w30 and 5w30 which seems thin to me.
the previous spec was 229.51 which allowed for 0w30 5w30 0w40 and 5w40
i am personally using amsoil 5w40 diesel oil
09 gl320 bluetec

229.52 still have HTHS over 3.5.
I would stay away from Amsoil 5W40 in winter. Diesel engines are running cooler then gas. I highly doubt your oil temp. is higher then 80c in winter. 0/5W30 MB 229.51 or .52 would be perfect for winter.
I run M1 5W30 ESP during cooler months, and that 5W30 is almost 5W40 considering its thickness.

2012 W166 Bluetec owner here (2nd bluetec vehicle). I picked up the vehicle with 49k miles on it, had all of its services done at the dealer with prepaid maintenance package. I did read on stephen's service blog regarding his opinion on the Bluetec situation and it's definitely great food for thought. His wording may seem FUD but I can see where the frustration & seeing these diesels neglected comes into play.

What I did was to check the PCV behind the passenger side cylinder head. Once I removed the valve from the head, all you saw was sludge built up inside of the valve and the rubber diaphragm inside was damaged. I replaced the valve and the pick up and response from the motor has been night and day. Also the oil dripping on the turbine side of the turbo was noticed, I did notice it has stopped when I switched to use Redline 15w40 diesel as you can see it "swirls" around the turbine instead of it dripping out.

So far I've been using the Redline oil since 49k miles. Right now it's almost at 72k miles. I have been changing the oil at every 5k intervals. It sounds overkill, but so far the motor has been running top notch. I will get a blackstone report done after I come back from my trip. Looking to add another 1600 miles by the end of the weekend. Then I have another trip going cross-country with the diesel.

I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen (summer), Winter Diesel Fuel Supplement (winter) & Clear Diesel at every fill up. So far so good. No emissions system issues. Air filters & fuel filters changed at every 20k intervals.

Originally Posted By: mark7601
2012 W166 Bluetec owner here (2nd bluetec vehicle). I picked up the vehicle with 49k miles on it, had all of its services done at the dealer with prepaid maintenance package. I did read on stephen's service blog regarding his opinion on the Bluetec situation and it's definitely great food for thought. His wording may seem FUD but I can see where the frustration & seeing these diesels neglected comes into play.

What I did was to check the PCV behind the passenger side cylinder head. Once I removed the valve from the head, all you saw was sludge built up inside of the valve and the rubber diaphragm inside was damaged. I replaced the valve and the pick up and response from the motor has been night and day. Also the oil dripping on the turbine side of the turbo was noticed, I did notice it has stopped when I switched to use Redline 15w40 diesel as you can see it "swirls" around the turbine instead of it dripping out.

So far I've been using the Redline oil since 49k miles. Right now it's almost at 72k miles. I have been changing the oil at every 5k intervals. It sounds overkill, but so far the motor has been running top notch. I will get a blackstone report done after I come back from my trip. Looking to add another 1600 miles by the end of the weekend. Then I have another trip going cross-country with the diesel.

I have been using Power Service Diesel Kleen (summer), Winter Diesel Fuel Supplement (winter) & Clear Diesel at every fill up. So far so good. No emissions system issues. Air filters & fuel filters changed at every 20k intervals.

Give it some time.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Tell me again why diesels are cheaper to run than gas engines.

They are, if you maintain them properly.
If you play game with additives and oil, $4-5000 sticker will catch up with you eventually for some emission parts (most likely DPF).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back