PQIA tests five more 5W-20s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tom!

On Noack alone,

Castrol GTX with 11.6% is fantastic, especially for a conventional.

RP with 9.5% is very nice.

Havoline Synthetic with 13.4 is a little disappointing.

Thank you for posting
smile.gif

It looks like Castrol GTX "dino" is better than Havoline synthetic, except for VI
crazy2.gif

Castrol has a strong showing here considering the price point.

Havoline was disappointing on the NOACK, but wow 3860 Cold Cranking Viscosity, mPa s (cP) is really excellent.

For the money I think the Castrol looks great!

Castrol looks good for sure.
thumbsup2.gif

The sample that was tested could possibly be the GTX UltraClean synthetic blend in the old bottle.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Would you run the Havoline Synthetic for 10K?

Yes. I have one vehicle that has "Family Dollar" (on clearance, they were going out of business) 5W-30 syn-blend (Warren stamp on the bottom of the bottle) that's been in for 10,300 miles now.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: wemay

Look at how much better the -30C viscosity is for the Havoline.
How exactly is that significantly "better" in Miami?

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: wemay

Look at how much better the -30C viscosity is for the Havoline.
How exactly is that significantly "better" in Miami?

No one mentioned anything about Miami

I would bet the Primeguard is a Warren (WPP) product...similar to Peak, ST etc...

I'd use the Havoline over the Castrol in a region with very cold winters but in Florida....I'd use the Castrol...

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Castrol looks good for sure.
thumbsup2.gif

The sample that was tested could possibly be the GTX UltraClean synthetic blend in the old bottle.

I like the Castrol numbers for sure.

Up here in Canada, latest GTX jugs are is now labelled as a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Now we know why they seem to have started calling Magnatec a fully synthetic. Castrol is an interesting piece of work at times, aren't they? They create a stink years ago so they can call Group III oils synthetics, then they're virtually the only ones outside of boutiques actually having any real PAO PCMO offerings at all. Sheesh.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: sir1900

Now we know why they seem to have started calling Magnatec a fully synthetic. Castrol is an interesting piece of work at times, aren't they? They create a stink years ago so they can call Group III oils synthetics, then they're virtually the only ones outside of boutiques actually having any real PAO PCMO offerings at all. Sheesh.

A lot of their Edge offerings could be marketed as a blend too.
laugh.gif

Last edited:

Hmmm, coinsidently we have Havoline ProDS Synthetic 5W20 in the Mazda3 in my signature for 5 mo/5K mi THUS far. I am not sure when I will dump it. I'd like the OCI to go further as I have the car now til Mother's Day. I often do OCI's on this car(daughters car) out of convenience, when I get the car to work on. Right now, I am doing brakes(on order RA), ATF & Coolant change.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Hmmm, coinsidently we have Havoline ProDS Synthetic 5W20 in the Mazda3 in my signature for 5 mo/5K mi THUS far. I am not sure when I will dump it. I'd like the OCI to go further as I have the car now til Mother's Day. I often do OCI's on this car(daughters car) out of convenience, when I get the car to work on. Right now, I am doing brakes(on order RA), ATF & Coolant change.

Havoline has always made great oils but this syn. looks light on additives and the higher NOACK # leads me to believe the base oil isn't anything special either. I have 2 OCs worth of this oil but will probably keep the OCI shorter (7 or 8K). I really liked Havoline dino back in the SM era when it had moly galore.

I'm in the same boat as you with my daughter who goes to college up near you (she actually does 'clinicals' at Strong Memorial)...I don't see the Elantra for months sometimes. She'll be heading to North Carolina after graduation and I'll see even less of the car....I'll probably start doing extended OCIs with Castrol Gold or M1 EP then.

PS: When Castrol argued to call Gr.3 oils synthetic they were buying PAO from Mobil....now they have the resources of BP at their disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back