MoS2 in action? (photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I was checking fluids in my old Mercedes 300D (w123 chassis) and found the cam lobe looking kind of funny:

C-i-8TWXYAA4OzR.jpg

I'm using Liqui Moly MoS2 additive in this engine and it seems to me that this discoloration is the MoS2 adhered to the contact surface of the cam lobe. At least is the same grey color as the additive.

What do you think?

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
I think that is one clean looking view with no varnish or gum amywhere

It sure looks that way. It also looks like the MoS2 is being deposited thought the engine.

Why do you need this OTC additive?

Were you having a particular problem that you thought this additive might cure?

And it seems to me that it only gets deposited on surfaces subjected to high surface pressure.

BTW, the engine is an old naturally aspirated diesel, maybe that's one of the reasons of being no varnish.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Why do you need this OTC additive?

Were you having a particular problem that you thought this additive might cure?

No problem with the engine. It is just that this car doesn't get used much, so there are long periods of time between starts. I think that probably most of the oil washes away from the surfaces when I need to start it, so the MoS2 gives me some peace of mind in that respect.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Did you notice any increased lubricity after you put this additive in your sump?

How do you measure lubricity?

Or, could that be soot, not moly, visible and sticking to the cam lobe? This is a diesel.
You could be seeing MOS2 filling asperities though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back