motorcraft oil gone? what to replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my local walmart (and their website it seems) is out of stock on motorcraft oil and it's time to change it in my wifes 2012 fusion. i only like to use motorcraft in it, but seems like i need a different route this time, and possibly forever if they don't restock it at some point.

so, given the 5w20 rating, which oil do you recommend that's readily available at walmart? needs to be synthetic blend or synthetic... please make it simple so i don't have to squint at the labels lol (i can't even keep track of what castrol is doing anymore, too many options!) i was thinking pennzoil gold synthetic blend.. but none in 5-20 around here. just not too familiar with what these engines respond well to (3.0L) and it's our first ford. 70k. my 06 ram seems to really like pennzoil platinum..maybe go with that?

If shopping Wal-Mart for 5w-20 I would probably switch to Castrol Magnetec. QSUD would be next choice.

Why must you buy it at WalMart?

Around here, AutoZone and Advance Auto regularly have Motorcraft oil and filter change specials in the $23-26 range.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I have an idea. Go to your parts counter at the local Ford dealer. Last time I checked they sell Motorcraft oil.

You're telling a habitual Walmart shopper to go to a main dealer?

Lemme guess, you are either Darth Vader, Pol Pot, or Bill Gates.

I had the same idea when I was looking for Motorcraft Long Life Grease (or any recognisable brand of grease) here and the Ford parts counter, shown it in Chinese on a computer screen, said they'd never heard of grease, never used it, didn't sell it, and couldn't imagine why anyone would want to buy it.

Taiwan IS a special case though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
I have an idea. Go to your parts counter at the local Ford dealer. Last time I checked they sell Motorcraft oil.

You're telling a habitual Walmart shopper to go to a main dealer? Lemme guess, you are either Darth Vader, Pol Pot, or Bill Gates. I had the same idea when I was looking for Motorcraft Long Life Grease (or any recognisable brand of grease) here and the Ford parts counter, shown it in Chinese on a computer screen, said they'd never heard of grease, never used it, didn't sell it, and couldn't imagine why anyone would want to buy it. Taiwan IS a special case though.

Shopping at Walmart is a risky proposition. At least the dealer will sell you actual oil, not water. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...ter#Post4387759

All my local Walmart stores have plenty of 5W-20 and 5W-30 in jugs, and stock 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 in quarts. Website did not list it for the longest time, and then when it was listed it's always out of stock.

I just checked the Walmart website, and it shows 5W-20 out of stock, and it's not available in 50 miles of my zip code. Was just in there last night, and the shelves are full of Motorcraft oil, so the website is wrong.

You want to keep it simple so just grab any namebrand oil in the grade you need. You can get many blends under 20 bucks.

Not sure what part of Iowa you are in but have you considered Trop-Artic / Shield Choice Syn blend from Orschelns? According to their store map, they have several locations in the southern half of the state.

Trop-Artic/ Shield is made by the same company as Motorcraft oil and many here believe them to be nearly identical oils.

I usually wait for their $1.99/qt special and pick up a case or two.

If WM carries them by you (or can get them online), Havoline & Chevron Supreme 5W20 are both made by the same company that makes MC oil (Conoco-Phillips), usually for a fraction of the price. I've had good luck with both. BTW, another Magnatec 5W20 vote (it's also FULL synthetic, too)!

For the same price as MotorCraft blend, you can buy SuperTech full synthetic - that's what I'd go with. If you have a shorter OCI like 5k miles, just use Mobil Super 5K.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If WM carries them by you (or can get them online), Havoline & Chevron Supreme 5W20 are both made by the same company that makes MC oil (Conoco-Phillips), usually for a fraction of the price.

Are you sure about this? I've never seen anything linking the two companies that would indicate one is a subsidiary of the other or that they were both part of a larger conglomerate. Chevron is Chevron and ConocoPhillips is just Conoco. That's always been my understanding.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If WM carries them by you (or can get them online), Havoline & Chevron Supreme 5W20 are both made by the same company that makes MC oil (Conoco-Phillips), usually for a fraction of the price. I've had good luck with both. BTW, another Magnatec 5W20 vote (it's also FULL synthetic, too)!

Just a slight correction; Chevron makes Chevron Supreme and Havoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back