Mobil 1 0W-20 Annual Protection VOA, TBN/TAN

Hmmm, Weak Sauce. Although the commercial is pretty good with Kevin Harvick under the hood. So you know a nice chunk of money went into the marketing esp since it plays all the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Hmmm, Weak Sauce. Although the commercial is pretty good with Kevin Harvick under the hood. So you know a nice chunk of money went into the marketing esp since it plays all the time.

So you can declare that with certainty based on a Blackstone VOA?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I had a feeling this is what was going to show up. The elements that Mobil uses to make this the AP oil do not show up on a analysis. Judging the oil by its additives is a losing proposition.

Right. This oil is state of the art.

Lots of Mg, trying to minimize the LSPI problem on the GDIs, I guess. Looks like the only way to tell if it works would be to run it & do UOAs on it-at twice the cost of regular M1-it's not going to sell, regular M1 is a hard enough sell as it is.

Originally Posted By: buster
Amazing how many long time posters still don't get it.
Agree what were people expecting

Originally Posted By: dave123

People expecting it to be like the old M1 0w40, which was like gold; then dropped some Euro approval/s. M1 is still a fine oil, in all grades
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I had a feeling this is what was going to show up. The elements that Mobil uses to make this the AP oil do not show up on a analysis. Judging the oil by its additives is a losing proposition.

Right. This oil is state of the art.

I have a feeling there's a lot more to this oil than a Blackstone VOA can show. In fact knowing the class act operation that XOM is, this oil probably speaks more to the shortcomings of a VOA. At a glance EP doesn't look like it should be selling for half the price either.

As far as expectations, I thought it would have a TBN somewhere in the Amsoil SSO range, which is why I wasn't impressed. Unless they're re-writing the book on TBN with their new formulation.

As others mentioned the proof will be after we start seeing a bunch of UOA. I don't think that's going be happening anytime soon either.

Originally Posted By: dave123

Not this.

Pay $49/jug on the notion that somewhere inside it is a magical elixer unknown to all but the formulators. I guess we can wait for 15K or 20K mile UOAs to see how TBN and viscosity held up.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
With a starting TBN of 8.0, TBN retention must be incredible.
And the Phosphorous is below the SN minimum of 600.

The numbers do appear less than M1 EP's. Guessing Mobil has some proprietary esters for wear control, anti-oxidants they have patented, etc., that don't show up. (???)
They say: "Proprietary anti-aging technology: Controls breakdown to extend oil life, providing longer lasting protection during extended oil change intervals."

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Did you compare with regular M1 and AFE?

Was on phone, apologies meant to say thanks...and that it doesn't seem very special....

Judging an oil based on a VOA is pointless. This is a very advanced modern formulation. Non metallic additives will not show in a VOA.

Judging an oil based on a VOA is pointless. This is a very advanced modern formulation. Non metallic additives will not show in a VOA.

True. Yet, can't explain why phosphorus ppm is too small to call this oil SN, by rule.
Alternative explanation: This is a bad batch. They are employing new technicians to mix the oil on new machines, and they screwed it up, at least on these early production batches. That would explain why the magnesium and calcium overbased detergents are so low, and TBN is low. Even boron and moly look a tad low. Too much base oil and too little DI ?

This oil supposedly has a much higher percentage of PAO base stock which wouldn't show-up in a VOA and would also explain the higher price. As far as the chemistry is concerned, XOM knows what they are doing, but I question their ability to sell much of it at discount and auto parts stores at the price they are asking. I also question why the stores are dedicating so much shelf space to AP while reducing shelf space for AFE and EP (unless XOM is paying them to do this, which is a distinct possibility).

Low TBN, and the additive package isn't much different from the EP. I'm guessing there's something organic that's different about it?

High levels of ZDP, Ca/Mg etc are becoming a thing of the past. This new AP formulation is actually very modern and advanced. Oils like RL and other boutique formulations are archaic. You can't judge the performance of these newer formulations based on virgin samples. People should know that by now.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yet, can't explain why phosphorus ppm is too small to call this oil SN, by rule.

I'd be inclined to blame Blackstone. How many times have folks been told to ask Blackstone to rerun a sample due to weird results? Lots.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yet, can't explain why phosphorus ppm is too small to call this oil SN, by rule.

I'd be inclined to blame Blackstone. How many times have folks been told to ask Blackstone to rerun a sample due to weird results? Lots.

Back when I ran oil analysis in college, phosphorus was more challenging to detect than transition metals. Maybe things have improved since then, but Blackstone does not give tolerances so it may be within the margin of detectability.

I would have a hard time believing ExxonMobil would market a product labeled with a spec it didn't meet. They have shown themselves to be very careful about that in the past. The sheet shown here indicates 650ppm.

Back