Motorcraft FL810 5530mi 2016 Kia Soul cut open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off a coworkers newly purchased (used from Ford dealership) 2016 Kia Soul. Ford dealership changed the oil when it was traded in. Car currently has 25,530 miles on it. Filter was in use for 5,530 miles with unknown oil, likely Motorcraft 5w20 blend.

Filter held up well, oil didn't smell fuel diluted at all. ADBV was nitrile but pliable and was well sealed. Of note the filter I removed seemed to be much thinner gauge metal then the OE filter that replaced it. This concerned me due to the issues with these cars and oil pressure spike issues on start up, which was the whole reason why I elected to use an OE filter for his changes.

A new genuine Hyundai/Kia filter went back on with 4.3 quarts of Peak 10w30 conventional oil. Wrote out a sticker for him to come see me again in another 5,000 miles. Enjoy the pics.

I am a big fan of the Hyundai/Kia oil filter and use it on my Honda. The oil filter is heavy in weight and constructed like a tank.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I am a big fan of the Hyundai/Kia oil filter and use it on my Honda. The oil filter is heavy in weight and constructed like a tank.

Yup, except the 50 microns efficiency

Originally Posted By: Matagonka

+1
Looks good, but efficiency is a big negative with a 50 microns efficiency rating. There are better filters out there for only a few bucks more (Fram Ultra or Toughguard).

I've been driving a Kia Soul rental and it makes gasoline disappear. It's hard to believe such a small box can use so much gas. It gets between 20 and 25 mpg. It's a nice self propelled box except for the disappearing gasoline trick.

Oh by the way, at 65 mph on the freeway using cruise control it downshifts at odd times and rev's like crazy. The only way to stop it is to shift into manual mode by pressing the button on the shift know and pushing it to the left in Drive while in 6th gear. Otherwise you feel like you're driving an angry car.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

+1
Looks good, but efficiency is a big negative with a 50 microns efficiency rating. There are better filters out there for only a few bucks more (Fram Ultra or Toughguard).

I didn't use the OE filter for efficiency. I used it as a safeguard against filter failure due to pressure spikes known to plague these engines. For what I paid for 6 of the filters it would've been more than 2x as expensive to run a Fram Ultra and 1.5-1.7x as expensive for a Tough Guard that I can't be assured won't have issues due to old stock and the pressure spec being recently upgraded by Fram. No worries with that with the OE filter, additionally if he brings it to the dealership for work no cause for a denied warranty claim for a non OE filter. I do this guy a favor with his vehicle maintenance because he tries hard but doesn't have a lot of money, I do his oil changes for $20 for oil and filter with conventional oil. Using my clearance stash I make about $10 for my trouble and he gets a decent savings over Jiffy Lube.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

+1

I didn't use the OE filter for efficiency. I used it as a safeguard against filter failure due to pressure spikes known to plague these engines. For what I paid for 6 of the filters it would've been more than 2x as expensive to run a Fram Ultra and 1.5-1.7x as expensive for a Tough Guard that I can't be assured won't have issues due to old stock and the pressure spec being recently upgraded by Fram. No worries with that with the OE filter, additionally if he brings it to the dealership for work no cause for a denied warranty claim for a non OE filter. I do this guy a favor with his vehicle maintenance because he tries hard but doesn't have a lot of money, I do his oil changes for $20 for oil and filter with conventional oil. Using my clearance stash I make about $10 for my trouble and he gets a decent savings over Jiffy Lube.
Of course the KIA power plant engineers don't know a THING about which oil filter the engine needs. Yup.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
10w30 in a 2016 vehicle?

Sure, why not? The owners manual allows 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 API SM or better.

Here in the summer in Florida in a car with GDI I pose the better question is WHY NOT a 10w30?

Originally Posted By: car51
Heck, I have some SAE 30 in using real soon. 10w30 is fine

I currently have VWB SAE 30 in my 1987 Toyota 4Runner right now.

I will be putting PYB SAE 30 in my 2004 Lexus ES330 tomorrow.

In what?

A 89' Dakota 2wd

In what?

A 89' Dakota 2wd

So it's fine to run in everything?

Filter looks good. I looked at a Motorcraft FL-810 once before, and to me it looked like a Purolator Classic (L14459) with a different paint job.
Thanks for the C&P.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
10w30 in a 2016 vehicle?

Sure, why not? The owners manual allows 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 API SM or better.

The manual for my 2012 Hyundai Elantra says the same thing (with 10W-30 allowed for temp above 0 degrees F), and I have used all three (5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30) in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back