Baldwin B-2 cut open

For your viewing is a USA built Baldwin oil filter. This fits older Ford products, equivalent to Motorcraft FL1A.
Was on my 1957 Ford 860 tractor.
Has been on tractor for 9 months but only about 6 hours of run time. (Tractor purchased in March , has been sitting in a field, old oil was very nasty so kind of a short interval for a flush)
No defects found, appears to be a well built filter.
Very sturdy, thick can and base plate. Nice coil spring. Appears to have a nitrile adb/ thread end combo bypass valve.
Nitrile was still very soft and pliable.
Louvered center tube, and probably the best wide louvers I've seen on an oil filter.
Pleat spacing was good, and the seam was glued together well.
IMG_20231209_221513031.jpg
IMG_20231209_221631247.jpg
IMG_20231209_221549982.jpg
IMG_20231209_221527874.jpg
IMG_20231209_221609773.jpg

I buy Baldwin filters when I can get them, but will usually use Hastings when I can’t, since they’re easier to find.

RockAuto is now selling Baldwin filters occasionally… probably when a supplier has a stock.

For your viewing is a USA built Baldwin oil filter. This fits older Ford products, equivalent to Motorcraft FL1A.
Was on my 1957 Ford 860 tractor.
Has been on tractor for 9 months but only about 6 hours of run time. (Tractor purchased in March , has been sitting in a field, old oil was very nasty so kind of a short interval for a flush)
No defects found, appears to be a well built filter.
Very sturdy, thick can and base plate. Nice coil spring. Appears to have a nitrile adb/ thread end combo bypass valve.
Nitrile was still very soft and pliable.
Louvered center tube, and probably the best wide louvers I've seen on an oil filter.
Pleat spacing was good, and the seam was glued together well.View attachment 192290View attachment 192291View attachment 192293View attachment 192294View attachment 192292
Very nice photos. What filter and oil went back in and on? Thank You sir

Nice looking Parker Hannifin filter. The base plate & cap look a little different than what I usually see from other filters cut here.

Last edited:
Very nice photos. What filter and oil went back in and on? Thank You sir
Microgard Select filter and Valvoline premium blue 15w40 is what when back on/in.
This tractor won't see a ton of hours, so will probably only need annual oil and filter changes.
Might run the Amsoil Commercial grade synthetic blend 15w40 for future changes.

If you are looking for an upgrade in efficiency, the Donaldson P169071 and the Fleetguard LF3487 are both synthetic media options, the latter using Fleetguard's excellent Stratapore media.
If you want to stick with Baldwin, their B2-HPG is a pretty good synthetic media filter too-that's what I've used for a transmission filter with a remote base.

If you want to stick with Baldwin, their B2-HPG is a pretty good synthetic media filter too-that's what I've used for a transmission filter with a remote base.
I had considered the B2-HPG, but I can get the Microgard Selects for around $7 through the shop account I work at, so that's pretty tough to beat!

If you are looking for an upgrade in efficiency, the Donaldson P169071 and the Fleetguard LF3487 are both synthetic media options
How do you know their efficiency claims are accurate? Just razzin' ya. ;)😄

You jest, but obtaining the correct Fleetguard figures is actually needlessly confusing, lol. Donaldson just lists the figures for each of their filters:
View attachment 192584

:D
But look at the test standard. How does that equate to ISO 4548-12? And how do you know what possuble variables in the test procedure were used that could affect the efficiency outcome, like the cut-off dP level used in tbe test? There could be doubt raise in everyone's efficiency claims if you dig deep enough.

Last edited:
But look at the test standard. How does that equate to ISO 4548-12?
Interesting isn't it? LOL :D That's the (old) standard for hydraulic filters. Interestingly, the 4572 standard uses a fine test dust, vs the medium test dust used for 4548-12.

But don't worry, it gets worse:
Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 5.18.48 PM.jpg

^^^ I'd like to see the calibration sheet for their pressure sensor. I can't take anyone's specs seriously when they show something like this. That's worse then misspelling words in the specs. 😄

1702338910167.png

it might be some artifact of converting from bar, because 0.69 bar converts to 10.0076psi.
Regardless of what units they originally measured in, it certainty would not be accurate to 6 significant figures. So if converted to other units later, it wouldn't be accurate to 6 significant figures either.

Regardless of what units they originally measured in, it certainty would not be accurate to 6 significant figures. So if converted to other units later, it wouldn't be accurate to 6 significant figures either.
Totally agree, just because it's an explanation doesn't make it right.

Back