Mazda/Castrol 0W-20 - 2017 Mazda3 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought a new 2017 Mazda3, Grand Touring spec, 2.5L w/6-speed manual, to replace our '15 Golf TDI which is going through the buyback process. Mazda recommends either Mazda Genuine (Castrol) 0W-20 oil, or Castrol's branded offering of the same weight.

I'm in Phoenix where summer temps soar into the 110+ range on a regular basis. That sounds awfully thin to me. Any suggestions on an alternative, or should I not be concerned and solider on as recommended?

i live in texas. while its not quite as hot here it gets hot. I use the mazda oil which is actually made by Idemitsu and not castrol, and it has been great. My UOA come back as I can do 10k no problem.
I wouldnt worry about the 0w20 at all.
Congrats on the car. I love Mazdas. I was going to buy a 2015 jetta wagon TDI until I found I wasnt able to buy one in a manual transmission. I went back to mazda and I am glad I did.

Also since you have a 2.5 like me, the manual says it takes 4.8 quarts, it actually takes a little more and I use a full 5 quarts in there every time.

Same engine is used in the CX-9, specified 5w30. Yes, the CX-9 is turbocharged but with no oiling system changes between the two I'd say that the 5w30 is fine to use in your engine as well. [insert warranty discussion here]

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Same engine is used in the CX-9, specified 5w30. Yes, the CX-9 is turbocharged but with no oiling system changes between the two I'd say that the 5w30 is fine to use in your engine as well. [insert warranty discussion here]

I would say so too since outside the US they spec a 30 for the NA 2.5 as well.

It's not the same engine, not even close...

I think he means the old CX7 NOT the CX9. In any case use the 0w20 with confidence. If cost is not too great, I'd use the MAZDA OIL WITH MOLY. Ed

I've used M1 0-20AFE for years now in both of my Duratech engines with very good results in temps ranging from -10F to +109F.

Originally Posted By: WellLubed

I'm in Phoenix where summer temps soar into the 110+ range on a regular basis.

And engines run at 200F+ all day long - oil at more than that. I wouldn't worry.
Use a well respected syn and you are good to go - PUP, PP, M1, QSUD are some that come to mind.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

It's not the same engine, not even close...

It is same engine with well thought off turbo charger.
CX-9 2.5l has turbocharger and that is it. It is so called LPT with two exhaust pipes and has diesel like torque.
IMO, right now best mid-size SUV on the market.

Last edited:
Use any quality brand of oil. Valvoline, Castrol, Chevron, Mobil etc. As mentioned already the Mazda branded oil is made by Idemitsu in Japan. Excellent stuff. A bit more money though.

Keep an eye on fuel dilution. If your oil smells pretty gassy by 5000 miles, I would reconsider the 10k oci. I'm not sure how the heat in Phoenix would affect that one way or another. It would depend more in your driving habits. City driving increases fuel dilution.

Last edited:
the price to upgrade into 5/30 is about a gallon of fuel every 3k, absolutely more protection.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
the price to upgrade into 5/30 is about a gallon of fuel every 3k, absolutely more protection.

Proof?

OP, the 0w20 will work great.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: dblshock

Proof?

OP, the 0w20 will work great.

From Mobil 1:

Helps increase engine efficiency and improve fuel economy, based on 0.2-2.3 percent potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to a 0W-20 or 0W-30 grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current motor oil viscosity.

We just bought a new 2017 Mazda3, Grand Touring spec, 2.5L w/6-speed manual, to replace our '15 Golf TDI which is going through the buyback process. Mazda recommends either Mazda Genuine (Castrol) 0W-20 oil, or Castrol's branded offering of the same weight.

I'm in Phoenix where summer temps soar into the 110+ range on a regular basis. That sounds awfully thin to me. Any suggestions on an alternative, or should I not be concerned and solider on as recommended?

Yeah, summers get hot here for a good 4 months of 95 to 103 temps. Im learly of 20 oils and dont use them in our
2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv. I use 5/30, though I did run 5/20 over the winter, only because, I felt like it.
I only use 5/30 in my 08 durango.

Our owners manual states 5/30 can be used outside of the United States. No doubt in my mind this is for fuel mileage in the USA.
My company supplied 2012 Ford Transit gets whatever the quick lube place puts in it, as well as the cheapest filter known to mankind and its getting close to 170,000 miles now with zero issues.

Last edited:

Your summer is even hotter than Malaysia's ambients ,hence a good candidate for xW40 after warranty in my context.

Edit:spelling

Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Might wind up going 5W-30 as it gets REALLY hot here - typically around 25-30 days of 110+, and can go 100 days of 100+ in a typical summer.

Love the car so far, though not many miles on it yet. It has new-for-'17 bi-LED headlights, and they're incredible - they put the bi-Xenons on my Golf R to shame.

Use the 0w20 during the warranty period, then a 30 after it expires. If you still don't want to use 0w20, consider 1 AFE 0w30, which is s thin 30

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Use the 0w20 during the warranty period, then a 30 after it expires. If you still don't want to use 0w20, consider 1 AFE 0w30, which is s thin 30

Graphing the cSt of M1 5-30 vs M1 0-30 AFE, the 0-30 is actually thicker at some temps above zero degrees F--sounds counter-intuitive I know, but is true.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back