New to me, 2017 Mazda 6 2.5L oil choice

Nice car, and 30K is just broken in. 5W-30 for Mexico because of the temperature. You're in Texas which gets real hot too. If it was mine I'd run 5W-30 year round for a bit more HTHS viscosity protection.

No, it isn't. It's far more likely that fully synthetic oils like 0W-20 a quite a bit more expensive there. The 5W-30 recommendation is for a conventional or blend at best as that is what is generally available. Even finding synthetic oils at places like Walmart in Mexico is not always easy...

In any case I'd use a syn 0/5W-30 in summer and a 0W-20 the rest of the year, but I have a fair amount of 5W-30 in my stash...

Last edited:
5w-30 is spec'd in Mexico because it is cheaper and easier to locate. Has nothing to do with temperature. And your 2005 Ranger is a Ford designed and built truck for Mazda.
The 2.5 in the OP's 2017 Mazda6 is a 'Skyactive' engine while the 2.3 in the 2005 Ranger is an MZR engine.....both Mazda designed....both excellent engines....but not the same engines. I'd say that both would be fine running 0w20, 5w20 or 5w30 ....no need to go thicker IMO...

PS: To the OP.... I'm glad for you (and surprised) that you got such a good deal on such a nice car in these crazy used car priced times....
I own 2 Ford's with Duratecs (Mazda MZR's) and my daughter just bought a brand new Mazda CX-30 with the 'Skyactive' 2.5...so we are fans of both engines.

Is "seating the rings" important for future oik use nowadays?

Last edited:
I run 0-5w-30 in my 2.5 in the summer. In the winter with fuel dilution I run 0w40 so it will be a 30 with the fuel dilution.

In Texas you probably can do a 30 all year , just watch short trips with temps under 30f, that leads to fuel in the oil.

2018 2.5 NA 5 oil changes best MPG was using *5w-30 ( used a few other viscosity's )
My average city & hwy combined was *28.68 MPG
I had several oil analysis done to confirm oil condition.

oil changes miles:

I chose my second record book information because it is closer to your Mazda's miles. I also have oil viscosity from day one miles 5 on the odometer when I first purchased the MAZDA. I change my oil and filter at or very close to 3,000 miles.
I did a complete engine health inspection for a base line to know when things were changing and to spot problematic changes and concerns. I know that the 2.5 Skyactiv engine does not full break in until the 10- 15,000 miles.
I also did a carefully inspected camshaft and other upper engine components inspection (valve cover removed) and not finding anything that was even the least bit of a concern.

id run 5w-30 supertech since its perfectly fine for it and well priced. these engines aren't picky you can use pretty much whatever viscosity you want.

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w30. My 2014 Mazda 5 with the 2.5L did just fine for over 100K on Mobil 1 and Valvoline.

We are on our 2nd CX-5 with that engine (although the 2020 is turbo) and both do run through a quart or so in 5k miles (I did my best to seat the rings). Just sharing. Love the Mazdas and that engine, though.
thats a lot of consumption for that engine as far as I know.

In Australia for that car, 2017 Mazda 6 with 2.5L SKY ACTIV engine, fully imported from Japan, Mazda Australia let you run 0W20 or 5W30 or 10W30 or 10W40.

On my seventh Mazda now and see no reason to change that in the future. The 2014 6 and a 2016 CX5 that I had, as well at the current 2018 3GT used 0w20 QSUD. Hardly any oil use at all during 5K intervals (1/4-1/2 qt). My new 2021 CX5 CE turbo is getting a diet of 5w30 Valvoline Advanced Syn. Before these I had a 82 RX7, 99 Miata (kept it for 16 years) and a 04 6 (sold to next door neighbor and it's still going strong) . Excluding the RX7 which was a stage rally car, not one of these cars suffered a mechanical breakdown! They are durable as heck and their handling qualities put a smile on your face.

Back