Aftermarket air filter cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
After about 50k on a performance air filter can a air filter cleaning kit completely clean the filter to original condition?How much dirt is left behind?Thanks Joe

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
IF you're patient and use the proper chemicals, then yes, it will be 99% it's original condition.

+1. Make sure you read the cleaning directions and don't rush it. I've used K&Ns before and the biggest pain was picking out the bugs between the pleats without damaging the filtering media.

You can't clog a after market airfilter unless your driving in Baja type conditions. Clean it, don't get crazy with it and keep on truckin.

It should be noted that a somewhat dirty element filters better than a fresh, perfectly clean one (the dirt particles act as a filter media of sorts, blocking smaller micron particles than a new filter will, and the uncovered area still flows enough for any normally aspirated application. Getting dirt to stick to the outside of the filter is what the oil is for).

So don't panic over getting it Stepford Wife Spotless; clean it when it's clogged but don't clean it or replace it just because it "looks dirty". Follow the schedule in your owner's manual and resist the temptation to replace it early, or at the Severe Service interval if your driving conditions don't warrant Severe Service conditions.

And if the Quick Oil Change recommends you change your air filer by showing you how dirty it looks (it will look dirty just about anytime after a few thousand miles) play it like a Cop does when he asks a question he already knows the answer to, to find out how honest the guy is and to study what he looks and acts like when he lies.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
IF you're patient and use the proper chemicals, then yes, it will be 99% it's original condition.

+1. Make sure you read the cleaning directions and don't rush it. I've used K&Ns before and the biggest pain was picking out the bugs between the pleats without damaging the filtering media.

thumbsup2.gif

Protip: You can use a stocking like material to put over the air filter and you can just pull it off when it gets full of bugs. Works flawlessly!!

Originally Posted By: Timo325
Protip: You can use a stocking like material to put over the air filter and you can just pull it off when it gets full of bugs. Works flawlessly!!

Or leave the bugs and let your engine absorb their power.

Alright fine, clean out the bugs.

I used to use K&N and I never got them perfectly clean. They might have been but they wont look it. I think its a good idea to install a filter minder. That way youll know when its time to clean and if you cleaned well. That also prevents any service tech from bringing up a filter replacement when it isnt necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back