Oil Recommendation - 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine just picked up a 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT with 54k on the clock. It's in very good shape and will end up being a garage queen coming out on nice days in the summer.

I was looking in to what oil it should take and my answer is an HDEO like Rotella T6. I had an 87 300ZX Turbo with the VG30ET that seemed to like T6.

-Capacity is either 3-5/8 quarts or since it's a 1990, it might be a little larger. I know that later VG30DETT's were 3-5/8's.
-The owners manual call for an API SG oil which I think plays in to the oil they recommend.
-The under hood sticker says to use a 5W-30 from 60F and lower. It also says "On turbo engines, 5W-30 should be used only under extremely cold conditions". It then calls for a 10W-30 or 10W-40 from 0 and up.

My 2 cents is that T6 would provide the needed Zinc it might need and handle the turbo's well. But what do I know? I am looking to see if you guys can tell me if there is something better that this 27 year old beauty should get instead.

I'd use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.
It's designed for modern Turbodiesels , and since it also is rated for gasoline engines it should work well.
Zinc won't really make a difference to the turbos.
If he thrashes on it really hard Mobil 1 15W-50 will work well too.
Redline would work well in that thing too.

I would just use any synthetic 5w30 you can find at walmart. If you really want something you might trust to protect better, get the cheapest or thinnest a3/b4 you can find. If it is an oil cooled turbo you generally want a slightly thinner oil to help it flow and pull the heat off of the turbos better.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I would just use any synthetic 5w30 you can find at walmart. If you really want something you might trust to protect better, get the cheapest or thinnest a3/b4 you can find. If it is an oil cooled turbo you generally want a slightly thinner oil to help it flow and pull the heat off of the turbos better.

If it says 5W-30 is only recomended for extreme cold i would not use it.

Yay another Z32

For turbo's you def want to stick to Xw40 or even Xw50

T6 is a popular choice, obviously. Chevron Delo 5w40 may be a good substitute as well.

Mobil1 15w50 and Castrol Edge 5w50 seemed good in my non-turbo, but I went back down to Mobil1 High Mileage 10w40 for now.

...and you friend had better find a good mechanic with a sense of humor. Those 300ZX's were very good cars but getting around under the hood is quite an experience. In other words be very diligent about routine maintenance. Maybe over do it a bit. It's a car that will easily maintain or increase it's value but only if it's in good shape with a precise maintenance record.

Around 2000 I purchased a "twin-turbo" to fix up and sell and got calls for about a year after it was sold. The buyer paid cash, got in the car and proceeded to knock of a bucket list line item and drove it across the US in a trip that took the better part of a year. It was a love affair with a car, a new wife and a long awaited road trip. He still has the car and drives it frequently. I started the car with Red Line 10w-40 and he continued with it. Red Line is an excellent DD oil. See my recent post in the UOA section.

Red Line 10w-40

Given the rather less than demanding factory requirements a Euro 0w-40 would be my choice, something like Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
...and you friend had better find a good mechanic with a sense of humor. Those 300ZX's were very good cars but getting around under the hood is quite an experience. In other words be very diligent about routine maintenance. Maybe over do it a bit. It's a car that will easily maintain or increase it's value but only if it's in good shape with a precise maintenance record.

Around 2000 I purchased a "twin-turbo" to fix up and sell and got calls for about a year after it was sold. The buyer paid cash, got in the car and proceeded to knock of a bucket list line item and drove it across the US in a trip that took the better part of a year. It was a love affair with a car, a new wife and a long awaited road trip. He still has the car and drives it frequently. I started the car with Red Line 10w-40 and he continued with it. Red Line is an excellent DD oil. See my recent post in the UOA section.

Red Line 10w-40

Any reason to run Redline 10w-40 instead of Redline 0W-40? They should both end up the same when warmed up, but the 0 will get where it needs to go faster on startup.

Originally Posted By: BobThe

Red Line 10w-40

Any reason to run Redline 10w-40 instead of Redline 0W-40? They should both end up the same when warmed up, but the 0 will get where it needs to go faster on startup.

No reason. Take your pick. It's quite possible that they are the same oil. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: BobThe

Red Line 10w-40

No reason. Take your pick. It's quite possible that they are the same oil. What do you think?

Their PDS data is different so they are not the same.

300ZX doesn't need a high zinc oil,it's a roller cam engine. I've tried every oil under the sun in my n/a. I'm running Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10W30 (thanks Gena!!) currently and it's the best oil I've ever used. If he wants Redline,have him give Redline 10W30 a try,with of course a Nissan oem oil filter.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
300ZX doesn't need a high zinc oil,it's a roller cam engine. I've tried every oil under the sun in my n/a. I'm running Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10W30 (thanks Gena!!) currently and it's the best oil I've ever used. If he wants Redline,have him give Redline 10W30 a try,with of course a Nissan oem oil filter.

I was just trying to find why the VG30DE is said to need zddp lol

I have some fresh M1 10w40, but also put a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer which is apparently [censored] nowadays, so I may drain it out for the oil you're currently using.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

I have some fresh M1 10w40, but also put a bottle of Lucas oil stabilizer which is apparently [censored] nowadays, so I may drain it out for the oil you're currently using.

Definitely drain that mix and give the Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10W30 a try.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87

Definitely drain that mix and give the Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 10W30 a try.

First I have to fix the brakes (bad brake booster I believe) then fix the AC leaks... then a new steering u joint... then put the interior back together... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back