post your latest transmission lubricant change.

'02 Alero 3.4 with 4T45E and 150k miles on original factory ATF. Dexron III out, 7 quarts of Valvoline MaxLife in with pan drop, clean, and filter change. The old fluid was deathly black yet I saw only a slight metallic paste on the magnet which I take to be wear metals from the break in period 15 years ago.

I figure in about a year I'll drop the pan again and do another 7 quarts and perhaps some Lubegard Red. That should have most of the fluid as new. Cold shifts have improved noticeably.

My son's recently purchased 1996 Ford F250, C6 transmission. Out ?, In 3 gallons of BP Autran TES 295 via the "Hoot" method. Filter changed also, but the screen in the replaced filter was completely clean. 135K miles on the truck.

Last weekend , drain and re-fill 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l automatic . About 5 quarts of Havoline Dexron VI .

Really , no dip stick ? Had to remove the LF wheel / tire &partially bend back the plastic inner fender liner , to gain access to the overflow plug .

And no user serviceable filter .

The engineers that design this stuff should be forced to work on their brain child ! :-(

God bless
Wyr

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ledslinger
My son's recently purchased 1996 Ford F250, C6 transmission. Out ?, In 3 gallons of BP Autran TES 295 via the "Hoot" method. Filter changed also, but the screen in the replaced filter was completely clean. 135K miles on the truck.

My son told me that before the fluid and filter change it would often slip in low gear until it warmed up. When I pulled the pan, one of the filter retaining bolts was completely unscrewed and prevented from falling out due to hitting the pan. The cold start slipping is cured after the fluid/filter change. I suspect that the loose bolt and maybe low fluid level was the culprit. The loose bolt possibly created an entry point for air above the fluid level.

2001 XC70, 185K, original trans...was going to do a flush thru the cooler line (ordered O-rings and new clip from FCP, had tubing on hand) but thought better of it and just did a spill-n-fill. Takes several quarts Mobil 3309, maybe 40% new fluid every time. Done twice over past 50K miles, on my schedule now for around every third oil change. Just wish the darn stick was easier to access!

2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with six speed manual transmission. 9531 miles on this fluid change interval.

Out - 2.4 quarts of Honda Manual Transmission fluid

In - Same as above.

This transmission shifts very smoothly in warm weather, but in cold weather near and below freezing, the shifts are harder, especially from first to second gear. Sometimes I will just skip second gear and shift from first to third gear just after startup during cold periods.

2014 Fiat 500 Pop-Automatic(Aisin-Warner)
D&F 2.75 qts at 49,986-52,321miles
ATF-Toyota WS fluid-11qts
Number of times D&F: 4x
Lifetime fill extracted and refilled through fill bolt.
Fluid was black and tranny was rough when shifting before 1st drain.
Transmission runs much smoother when transitioning from one gear to another.

Last edited:
2011 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4l w/appx. 90K. First transmission service.

OUT: 4.5 qts FF Resembled dark (food industry grade) maple syrup. Pan's interior coated with easily cleaned goo.
The magnets-2 large circular-caught fuzz just like the coating. There was nothing bad to my untrained eye.
IN: Replacement filter (not necessary because it's a rock catcher but did have a few bits of metal)
4.5 qts Amalie CVT fluid.

I know the arguments PRO/CON re aftermarket fluids but I feel comfortable with the current "rate of cooling" of the hysteria.

I've seen fluid hysteria before and align myself with honorable oil companies ESPECIALLY with a well out-of-warranty vehicle.

Amalie's engineer emailed me himself to tell me the Mitsu spec was met.

Really boys, if a company calls its juices "Diaqueen", how seriously am I supposed to take it? Kira

Drained four+ quarts of Mobil 3309 out of Toyota U151 five speed AT and refilled with same. New drain plug gasket and 36 ft.lbs. torque. No leak. Never have a leak using new gasket which I purchase by the box.

2006 Jeep Commander (99,000 miles)
3.7 liter V6 with the Mercedes-Benz NAG1 transmission:

Pan dropped and cleaned.
Filter replaced.
Pan reinstalled with new gasket.
Filled with fresh Castrol ATF+4
Completed the Fluid exchange through the transmission cooler lines using a total of 15 and a half quarts.

1969 Chevrolet Impala, 400 SBC, TH350 auto, RWD
Out: cherry red fluid and old filter and pan gasket
In: 4 1/2 qts ACDelco DexIII, 1/2 qt Napa dex/Merc, Napa filter and pan gasket kit

I've had a request to share a picture of the aforementioned ACDelco transmission fluid I used in the '69 Impala. I woke up under the weather today so I'll snap a pic and post it tomorrow.

I should also add:

2013 BMW 135is, 50k
Out: Original fluid
In: new OE BMW MTF-LT-5 (meh)
In: Redline D6 (a bit better)
In: Redline D4 (better still)
In: Redline MTL (there we go, that's the ticket!)

"Lifetime" fluid my [censored].

Last edited:
2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l 6 speed automatic

Almost 5 quarts of Havoline Synthetic Dexron VI

Drain & refill .

God bless
Wyr

Yee Haw. My children are growing up and licensed so the wife and I bought a used 2010 Honda Civic LX sedan for them. This car is quite basic but will serve our high schoolers needs admirably. That said, to the best of my knowledge, only the motor oil has been changed periodically. So it is time to change the fluids: power steering, auto transmission, brake fluid, and coolant.

Automatic transmission fluid change time at 58,500 miles.

Out: Presumably Honda factory fill of Z-1 fluid. As near as I can tell, 2010 was the final year that Honda used Z-1 trans fluid.

In: Drained and filled four separate times of eight quarts of Honda DW-1 fluid in two quart increments.

I am sure the factory fill was still in the transmission as some gorilla at Honda tightened the drain bolt in excess of 100 foot-pounds. I broke my 3/8" drive ratchet trying to loosen the drain bolt.

Anyhow, the old fluid was a dark red while the magnet on the drain plug was full of black film. I cleaned the magnet as well.

Road testing the Civic really saw no appreciable change in transmission operation. The shift points from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd may have decreased by all of one mile per hour, but that is debatable.

Last edited:
Back