New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who's gunna do the VOA?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: njohnson
It's funny how the label says "To learn more about the Mobil 1 Annual Protection Limited Warranty visit Mobil1.com", I just checked the website, don't see any information about the oil yet.

I would imagine it's tough to properly line up a new product launch when it comes to retail outlets (which you don't control) and all the associated media. I'm guessing XOM is close to launching it officially, but someone at Walmart didn't get the memo and went ahead and stocked the shelves early.

I saw it today at a Walmart in Northern NJ. Only 0w20 in quart bottles was on the shelf. It was labelled as ”ultimate” systhetic oil whereas other variations were merely "advanced” synthetic oil. I saw boxes of it on a cart getting ready to be stocked in other grades in what appeared to be 5 quart jugs.
Lots of mumbo jumbo in fine print to refer to owners manual for warranty, check oil level often, use capable oil filter, severe service etc. I construed is as saying it can go 20k or 1 year under "normal" conditions.
The 5 quart jugs of EP are now $25 and change. Last time l was there 3 months ago it was 28. The 20k oil was 8.99 a quart.
I also saw Mobil 1 "high mileage” in 0w20 for the first time. I don't think it had the API symbol, but l didn't check too closely.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Onug
Funny how it says to not deviate from your OLM if you're still under warranty. Can you imagine the finger pointing if someone's engine died and the OEM found out the owner was running this oil?

They have to cover their arse.
LOL I'll pass on the 20K miles, and I've done a year many times before so nothing new there for me. Maybe they're zeroing in on Amsoil.

And the consumer pays for it by the oil costing double the standard M1 or M1EP which would still be fine for annual changes in 99.999% of most passenger vehicles.

It's a stupid marketing stunt.

Still only A1/B1 (which is being eliminated) and not A5/B5 (PP and PUP are both A5/B5, and Edge will soon be getting A5/B5 back)

Originally Posted By: jayg
Funny how it says to not deviate from your OLM if you're still under warranty. Can you imagine the finger pointing if someone's engine died and the OEM found out the owner was running this oil?

LOL I'll pass on the 20K miles, and I've done a year many times before so nothing new there for me. Maybe they're zeroing in on Amsoil.

And the consumer pays for it by the oil costing double the standard M1 or M1EP which would still be fine for annual changes in 99.999% of most passenger vehicles.

I think you are trying to throw far too large of a blanket on that statement...

Many of us drive more than the 15k per year EP advertises.

Remember, the average is near 15k/year. As many are above that mark as are below it.

Certainly my wife and I dont make up 2 of the 210,000 people you think drive more than 15k per year.

I have to go on a little shopping run tonight, I am half tempted to run by WalMart and see if this stuff is on the shelves here...not that I would buy it without knowing more about it (given that it does not have the new dexos rating with the LSPI test).
I would go for sure if the WalMart near the sports store I will be visiting were not a total nightmare as far as vehicle access is concerned.

Maybe Autozone will carry it and next December clearance it at2$ a qt because it wont sell.

I got about 30 qts of 0w-20 EP.

Originally Posted By: meborder

I think you are trying to throw far too large of a blanket on that statement...

Many of us drive more than the 15k per year EP advertises.

Remember, the average is near 15k/year. As many are above that mark as are below it.

Certainly my wife and I dont make up 2 of the 210,000 people you think drive more than 15k per year.

I'm not sure you understood my point. My point is the math doesn't make sense with their marketing.

I'm saying M1 EP could go 20k if your driving conditions warrant it just as easy as this new oil that costs double. It doesn't matter if you drive more than that as the difference in 15k and 20k will never make any ROI at the price point for both oils.

25% more "advertised" lifespan from the lubricant at 200% of the price of normal M1 EP. How will that math ever work?

I'm just sticking with the regular old Mobil 1 with 5-6k oil changes. At 25 bucks per 5 quarts I have no objection to changing it that frequently.

Exciting new product! I bet it's miss priced on the shelf at $50. With the Mobil 1 EP going down to $25, I bet this oil will take it's place as the $28 jug.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Still only A1/B1 (which is being eliminated) and not A5/B5 (PP and PUP are both A5/B5, and Edge will soon be getting A5/B5 back)

I have been a long time M1 user, but had to switch to PUP because that's one of the only oils to carry the A5/B5 spec.

Agreed..... Super-Tech conventional oil will go 20,000 miles if you start your car and drive from Seattle to Miami and back again... and then again. I've seen little diesel Kubota engines run 2,000+ hours on the same oil change, running non-stop.

Hopefully you are right about this. $28 would be a good price point. Though in my Wally World the limit seems to be less than $25. The Castrol gold bottle, Pennzoil Ultra, and Mobil 1 extended performance that were $28 were definitely the slowest sellers.

I'm not sure you understood my point. My point is the math doesn't make sense with their marketing.

I understood, I just don't agree.
The marketing is simple ... An oil that lasts 20k is better than an oil that lasts 15k. And there aren't any other oils at WalMart claiming to last more than 15k except this one. They are vying for top dog, nothing more nothing less.
Quote:

I'm saying M1 EP could go 20k if your driving conditions warrant it just as easy as this new oil that costs double. It doesn't matter if you drive more than that as the difference in 15k and 20k will never make any ROI at the price point for both oils.

If conditions allow EP to go more than 15k, then this new one will go more than 20k under the same conditions. Some will use it up quicker, but point for point the EP will not last as long.

As for ROI, They both stink, IMO. IV e found it is less money to use $2 oil every 5k, than $5 less than half as often .... Yet I use M1, edge ECT because I cam go farther between changes, which brings me to your last point.
Quote:

25% more "advertised" lifespan from the lubricant at 200% of the price of normal M1 EP. How will that math ever work?

Factor your time into it. For some, like me, this is the difference between changing once a year or effectively twice. My time is worth a lot to me -- especially this time of year when it comes to changing oil. Ever changed oil in the wind when it is below zero? I have - it sucks. If I can spend more money and not have to change in the winter, my time gets weighed heavily on my ROI equation.

I just dumped $5 oil early because it was nice out. If you are even close to being due and it is 60 degrees out in February.... You Change your oil. Or, plan on pushing it past due till the next warm snap in a month or more (which means 2-4 thousand miles).

As others have said, it wont stay this price forever. It will come down

Originally Posted By: meborder

Factor your time into it. For some, like me, this is the difference between changing once a year or effectively twice. My time is worth a lot to me -- especially this time of year when it comes to changing oil. Ever changed oil in the wind when it is below zero? I have - it sucks. If I can spend more money and not have to change in the winter, my time gets weighed heavily on my ROI equation.

I just dumped $5 oil early because it was nice out. If you are even close to being due and it is 60 degrees out in February.... You Change your oil. Or, plan on pushing it past due till the next warm snap in a month or more (which means 2-4 thousand miles).

As others have said, it wont stay this price forever. It will come down

I don't see how, if conditions and driving habits warrant an oil change at 20k miles, you couldn't just do that with an oil that is half the cost. I'm not advocating changing more often, I'm advocating doing the same thing Mobil is advertising but at half the cost with their existing M1 EP product and you'd still be fine. If your engine or driving conditions don't warrant extended OCI's with something like a M1 EP then it isn't going to be successful with this new oil either.

And yeah, I know a thing or two about not wanting to do vehicle maintenance outside in the winter. I stretch out my intervals to change in the summer regardless of mileage with current lubricants available on the market at a reasonable price and no lubrication problems have ever occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back