Exide Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get 3 years out of them and go get new one while that one is good ... all I expect for $100 ...

They leak out the posts. Amazing they're still in business.

Get a Johnson Controls or Interstate if you don't want to try or a Deka if you want to go hunting.

I would get the $48 WM JC Value battery!

I bought one for the Matrix almost 4.5 years ago at Rural King which says Exide on it. I did get some green fuzz on it that would come back in short order after using some protectant battery spray. Had Walmart do their battery protection service for $3.50 and the green fuzz hasn't been back since. This was a few years ago. A few months ago I topped it off with some d. water. Not bad for $50.

The oem battery in the Camry is made by JC and makes a huge mess. Even getting white corrosion under the battery tie down. WM did their batter service on this one as well which has kept the gunk off the posts. But under the tie down is a mess. I think maybe put some battery savers under the tie down with the thick red goop they use to further protect it.

Last edited:
CRC makes an excellent terminal spray ... used it for years and nothing "grows" - takes a few seconds to apply during oil change or whenever ...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Imo they are the worst batteries made. No life out of them, they leak and corrode the terminals and Exide got into trouble by causing environmental damage.
My experience as well. At work I raised a huge stink to get the parts dept to change to a battery that didn't ruin the battery cables each PM period.

I like them, but maybe Chris142 is right. The plant I worked a night at in my county closed down and looks kind of bad. I don't know if they did pollute, pollute (knowingly or unknowingly) or if there was and still is no way around making batteries without hurting the environment somewhat.

Keep a mat under them to reduce queel vibration, keep the terminals clean, keep the water level proper with distilled and the plastic case clean with windex or pledge and maybe you naysayers will change your stance on Exide.

Looked at both of mine - bone dry (on outside) - terminals look like new (only red from CRC) ...
Well, come to think of it - 2 more in my boat - Stowaway I think ? and a spare in camp ...
Same deal, 3 years I'm going to swap them - a Sears just opened - might go see what they have when time comes.

Hate to say it, but East Penn/Deka seems to be the one to have-the Exides are junk, the Johnson Controls ones are leaking from EVERYWHERE-AND NO ONE WILL WARRANT THEM FOR IT! I'm very disappointed by them, the older JCs didn't leak much, & I had some upper end Interstate MegaTron Plus ones last over 10 years-but now the JC ones basically need a top end grease & battery protectant bath to stop them from corroding everything in sight (my systems are not overcharging, I've checked them all)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back