“Enhanced flooded battery” ???

Have you confirmed that the stock battery you have is an EFB or are you just going by what the catalog says? EFB will say so in a prominent box on the top label on the battery.

Have you confirmed that the stock battery you have is an EFB or are you just going by what the catalog says? EFB will say so in a prominent box on the top label on the battery.
Good question, I have not. I will do that tomorrow.

Good question, I have not. I will do that tomorrow.
fwiw
the Wal-Mart battery finder says the same thing about my 05' Xterra and my 04' Armada (recommends AGM) but not any other car or truck I've ever owned. They do not have stop start but they do have Nissans smart alternator which has the battery constantly getting drained to somewhere around 80-90% then get hit with 15v+ volts to make up that charge and they just are not meant for that kind of workout. Old school lead acid batteries cannot cycle the way AGMs and EFBs can.

fwiw
the Wal-Mart battery finder says the same thing about my 05' Xterra and my 04' Armada (recommends AGM) but not any other car or truck I've ever owned. They do not have stop start but they do have Nissans smart alternator which has the battery constantly getting drained to somewhere around 80-90% then get hit with 15v+ volts to make up that charge and they just are not meant for that kind of workout. Old school lead acid batteries cannot cycle the way AGMs and EFBs can.
The Nissan Titan forums are filled with people who say they have disconnected that system for this very reason. According to them it’s as simple as disconnecting a wire from one of the battery terminals.

The Nissan Titan forums are filled with people who say they have disconnected that system for this very reason. According to them it’s as simple as disconnecting a wire from one of the battery terminals.
I do not know if the Titans programming is the same as the one on my Xterra but I do know that disconnecting the sensor on mine puts the system in a dumb safe mode that locks it at 13.8-13.9v. Another related problem is when people connect accessories like winches, lights, CB etc. directly to the battery like most instructions but the sensor cannot see these loads and it makes the problem even worse. On mine turning the headlights on or running the AC compressor puts it in normal mode and the system stays at 14.2-14.4v

if you ground everything directly to the chassis and run the AC or headlights (I ride motorcycles so I'm predisposed to driving with them on all the time) then its 100% fine. If have a winch sized load then replacing the stock 4ga negative cable with a 2ga one will probably be a good idea but everything short of that would be fine with the stock cable imo

the upside is Nissan fit a flippin 200 amp alternator on the newer trucks in an effort to compensate for that system so once you know how it actually works you are left with an overbuilt set up that can handle just about everything you'd want to throw at it. Could easily charge an RV or run one of those goofy obnoxious sound systems with it

EFB made by Johnson Controls in Spain.

4884F4A6-6320-48E2-9B6A-A0D8AE0437EE.jpeg

EFBs were developed as a lower cost alternative to AGMs for more demanding applications, like those with stop/start systems. They're more durable than standard flooded batteries and can handle the additional duty.

But, they haven't been heavily adopted in North America as of yet, with a limited selection on store shelves.

I believe Exide is the only supplier making them here, and even when they are available, don't offer much cost advantage.

A Duralast H6 EFB from AutoZone is $240, only $10 less than their AGM H6.

Then, consider that the Walmart EverStart Platinum H6 AGM is $180, and has a 4-year replacement warranty, vs. the 3-year warranty of the two Duralast options, and that EFB becomes even less compelling.
I have the Duralast AGM in my car for this reason. The stock battery was an EFB.

Back