2015 Dodge durango OEM filter pics 2551 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought this Durango with 18000 miles on it. OCI meter said last reset 2551 miles and the Castrol sticker in the window matched and said 5W-20. This filter looks pretty wavy to me, not dirty just wavy. Anyway Castrol 5W-20 titanium Syn and K&N went back in.

Last edited:
I opened it back up after tightening it down to see if the K&N was distorted, It looked fine. When I first opened the lid, it jerked and then stopped / stuck several times before coming lose by hand. It looked like it had been lubed with oil so I used the silicone lube sparingly and it went smooth then stopped, I called that good.

With pleats that long, I'd be surprised if they weren't wavy.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
With pleats that long, I'd be surprised if they weren't wavy.

+1 as long as there are no tears in the media I wouldn't worry about it.

I wasn't worried just seemed to look a lot older then 2500 miles. Anyway in 10K we will have pics of the 98% K&N. ANd that filter is only about 5" long. If fram ever gets the ultra out for it I will probably move to that after I use up the other K&N I have in my stash.

Last edited:
I've got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same engine. I've been using WIX filters exclusively (Rockauto has them for a great price) and they NEVER come out looking wavy like that. I also prefer to use 5w/30 weight oil. I run Mobil 1 EP about 6-7,000 miles.

I have an ecotec with this type of filter. I live in Canada and notice the filter distorts a lot more in winter. Maybe pulling thick cold oil pushes the media around. It unnerving for sure when i see it but the car has 225000kms on it so i imagine its not hurting it. Ive never seen any separation or tears.

After looking at the filter closely my thought is most of the oil flow is going through the wide spaces and the pleats that are folded tight are not really flowing much except on the edges. I will be watching for a wire backed filter so the flow and filtering is more evenly distributed. Also hoping the K&N holds its shape as the pleats felt fairly strong at least when new. It also looks to me like this filter may have been a little long causing some compression. It had Mopar part numbers on it but who knows what MFG it was, it had the OC at a Dodge dealer but who know if they changed the filter and if they did who knows what brand they used. I cannot find any name on this one.

Last edited:
just wanted to be clear I lubed threads and O-ring with Silicone grease, not spray lube.

I inspected the old filter very close and I don't see any signs that it was too long. Next OC if the K&N looks good I will use the second one I have. Hopefully by then a wire backed Fram ultra will be available. Regardless I will post pics of the K&N.

Originally Posted By: Skanky
Hopefully by then a wire backed Fram ultra will be available. Regardless I will post pics of the K&N.

See my post, 3rd from the bottom
cool.gif
Fram Ultra XG11665

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've got a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same engine. I've been using WIX filters exclusively (Rockauto has them for a great price) and they NEVER come out looking wavy like that. I also prefer to use 5w/30 weight oil. I run Mobil 1 EP about 6-7,000 miles.

You are in Texas though, he's in Washington. The odds are that the filter has distorted due to moisture, which is common in colder weather.

I inspected the old filter very close and I don't see any signs that it was too long. Next OC if the K&N looks good I will use the second one I have. Hopefully by then a wire backed Fram ultra will be available. Regardless I will post pics of the K&N.

Fram Ultra is already available, and a Wix XP is coming soon
smile.gif

Not likely moisture, I'm on the dry (good) side of Washington LOL... Dusty windy cold and dry. It did see 3-4 week well below 0F with 5-20 dino Castrol. Guess we will see the next one. But moisture, I doubt it.

Not likely moisture, I'm on the dry (good) side of Washington LOL... Dusty windy cold and dry. It did see 3-4 week well below 0F with 5-20 dino Castrol. Guess we will see the next one. But moisture, I doubt it.

Still get moisture in the oil from combustion regardless of how dry the air is. So if you made some short trips it still could be from moisture in the oil.

Oil pressure seem odd.
cold idle 80-90
as it warms up mid 40s
as rpms go up can see 100 before dropping down into 80s then down into the 40s
the odd thing is as it comes down to 1500-1000 rpm it will jump from mid 40s to 90-100, as I speed up it will drop back in the 50s and then climb again with rpms. Seems like the psi regulator is kind of whacking out to me. Why would pressure go up as rpm drops from say over 2000 rpm down to 1200. Then if its warm it will once again drop to the mid 40s at same low RPM.

^^^ Yeah, sounds like the oil pressure sensor or gauge is flaky.

when its warmed up it does seem to stabilize and act like I would expect. It does this more when its warming up and gets better with temp increase. I am worried its the psi regulator, if its just the sensor acting up when cold not such a concern. But 100 psi with cold oil could explain the wavy pleats right? Its still under warranty so I will be watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back