New Fram racing filters cut open (HP20 virgin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay sent me these to cut open and show you guys. They are super beefy.

Here is the quote from Jay in the previous thread where he mentions the information about them. Jay also mentioned that he helped design them working with the engineers to make the filter better than anything out.

Quick points,
*Metal end caps
*silicone adbv
*extremely thick tapping plate and can
*screen over bypass valve
*94% efficient @ 20 microns

Originally Posted By: Motorking
The FRAM Racing filter line has been improved and five new parts numbers released. We now have street driving compatible, drag and road racing compatible filters in one package. The media is a 60/40 blend of synthetic glass fibers and cellulose. the flow rates range from 10gpm (HP17, Honda and Nissan) to 22gpm HP6 (Drag and NASCAR). The five new filters all have silicone adbv's and the legacy part numbers will migrate to silicone as inventory is sold. All the rest of the part numbers flow 15gpm and can be operated at 200psi constant pressure with a 500 psi burst strength. They are 94%@20 microns, have 6000 mile OCI capacity. they also ALL have a hi flow 22psi bypass with a 100 micron stainless steel screen over the bypass. Flanged metal end caps, 1/4 thick tapping plate. They are available for Honda and Nissan (HP17), GM LS early HP20, Late model LS and LSX is HP 18, Ford 4.6 and 5.4, FCA Hemi is HP16, HP19 fits Ford Coyote V8's and GM applications using the PH10060. No other oil filter company has racing filters for these applications.
Email me if you want more info.

Here's what I got lined up, just one cut in this thread

The three filters on the left are the new models with silicone adbv, the one on the far right represents old stock HP4 that has nitrile adbv

Silicone anti drain back valve is soft

The can is even thicker than the Fram Ultra

Very nice material for a good seal on the bypass like the Ultras have

Screen over bypass

Very nice and even on most sides

The seam spacing is not perfect but they rarely are

Here is the total filter weight

Tapping plate is super heavy

20.gif
shocked2.gif

Fram is GOAT

They have the screen over the bypass Like the Tough Guard used to have. I wonder why the U G element isn't used?

Originally Posted By: CT8
They have the screen over the bypass Like the Tough Guard used to have. I wonder why the U G element isn't used?

Interesting question, I would guess that it's to keep the cost within reason since racing oil filters don't need high holding capacity. Hopefully Jay will follow up when he sees this

Originally Posted By: CT8
They have the screen over the bypass Like the Tough Guard used to have.

Yeah with such high flowing media and a high bypass setting on the valve, it's unlikely to be in bypass very often to actually need the screen I would think, although it's a good feature for the catastrophic scenario.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Can these used on daily drivers for a regular oci with no worries?

If sure they could but it's not the right filter for that since they are lower holding capacity, Fram rates them at 6000 mile oci which means it doesn't even hold as much as a tough guard which is cheaper.

There is wording on the box that says "for racing purposes only, not for highway use"

^^^ Looks like a nice filter. Noticed on the box is recommends oil & filter change at 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Louvers? Oh no, here comes the hate band wagon...

I hope not.... unless they are willing to take the time and add up all the combined area!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Looks like a nice filter. Noticed on the box is recommends oil & filter change at 3,000 miles.

Maybe just a disclaimer? I'd run one 10,000+ miles and not blink an eye.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
100 micron screen ? I do not think so- more like 10,000 micron
smile.gif

That's the truth!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Maybe just a disclaimer? I'd run one 10,000+ miles and not blink an eye.

Don't know where 901Memphis got the 6,000 mile use info, but I was just pointing out the box says 3,000 miles. All use statements on boxes are disclaimers. Fram probably put the 3,000 mile use recommendation on this filter based on expected harsh use conditions.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Can these used on daily drivers for a regular oci with no worries?

If sure they could but it's not the right filter for that since they are lower holding capacity, Fram rates them at 6000 mile oci which means it doesn't even hold as much as a tough guard which is cheaper.

Thanks for the C&P Memphis!

This is a nice step up from the prior unit for Fram and puts the Moroso which was the previous go to unit back on the shelf for me in terms of future purchasing.

Looks and specs perfect for my high flow and volume marine applications although I typically run non bypass filters the screen door on the pop off valve is a nice touch

Not sure why anyone would prefer to run this in their stock auto app as an Ultra would be far better suited than this filter.

Street autos with their minimal oiling systems dont come close to needing the burst strength of something like this which is designed primarily to stand up under a high rpm big blocks 12 tooth oil pump load at high viscosities and its not nearly a tight micron wise, but a great compromise between strength flow and filtration for a real unrestricted engine.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Not sure why anyone would prefer to run this in their stock auto app as an Ultra would be far better suited than this filter.

The Ultra has an ugly paint job and this would look good on a clean engine when on display at a car show.

ok, so if I`m understanding these statements correctly, these HP filters are not suited for a stock oiling system on a supercharged street 5.6VK street truck? even with a 3k oci...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back