Exxon Synergy helped fuel economy...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We purchased a new home recently (end of '16), and so, the station where I usually gas up my company car changed.

I went from using Loves to Exxon. And I noticed a slight increase in MPG (around 2-3 miles.) I thought nothing of it, honestly, being a company vehicle with a gas card. However, I ended up going there to fill up my wife's Buick last week (instead of the usual QT she gases up at near her work) and we saw increased MPG. Two different vehicles, but the same result; about 2 MPG increase.

So, what's the deal? Is there a really bad ma'am-a-jamma add pack, or it just less ethanol, maybe something to that effect?

Originally Posted By: CT8
The increase is staggering. I'll have to try the gas .

For the 4 banger Ford, I didn't think 2-3 was a big deal, considering it averages in the high 20's. And my driving patterns change frequently due to my job.

But, the Enclave is a bit of a gas hog for a mid size SUV and my wife's patterns never change. She averages 18 MPG with mixed cruising/stop and go HWY driving, which I've always considered reasonable. So, when she told me it went up 1.5-2 MPG, to almost 20, I thought that was impressive.

Give it a shot and please report back, I'm curious if it legitimate or a statistical fluke.

Exxon and Mobil revamped their additives. I am surprised you got as big of a difference as you had but hey, enjoy it! They make some good gas versus the non-top tiers

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
So, what's the deal? Is there a really bad ma'am-a-jamma add pack, or it just less ethanol, maybe something to that effect?

It could be a bit of both, assuming it's just not an artifact of some sort. No ethanol makes a difference, and there is some pretty garbage gas out there. I'm certainly not familiar with the brand you were using before, but I've run across some horrible stuff up here, although it usually takes one trying to be excessively "thrifty" to wind up suffering like that.

Ordinarily, you shouldn't see that big of a difference between two reasonably suitable fuels.

I think what you're experiencing is the significant benefits of an excellent top tier fuel vs. an inferior minimum additive fuel. I always use Mobil gas and it has proven to be one, if not the best fuels. Chevron Techron would also get my vote as one of the best.

Just noticed that QT fuel is TT. Maybe their level of additives is at the minimum requirement, and Mobil is just a better fuel with their synergy components.

Last edited:
If the fuel has higher BTUs than what you were using previously, and you drove exactly the same routes/throttle % / temp/humidity/tyre pressures etc in both vehicles, then you would see an increase.
But over a full tank, in two wildly different vehicles, it's got to be a fluke or miscalculation for them to both improve by the same amount.

Use Chevron or Texaco (purchased by Chevron) or (if you use Premium) Shell. Other than Exxon, they're the only ones that think enough of their additives to advertise it.

As for Exxon, oh where do I begin:

1. Despite: a) being the highest revenue co. (of any industry) and making profits hand over fist almost every year for decades, b) similarly priced and name brand Chevron (in all grades) and Shell (in premium) having had advertised additives for decades and c) both those brands and even several generic brands voluntarily meeting the Top Tier standard for over a decade, it took them until a few years ago, coincidentally after their numerous stations literally got replaced with equally numerous Chevron stations in their own home world HQ of DFW, that they finally started both: a) advertising their additive and b) meeting Top Tier standard.

2. The entire payout for the Exxon Valdez spill (which they've continued fighting decades later when some of the claimants have already died) would only be a fraction of their yearly profits!?!

3. They fund climate change debunking studies and their CEO publicly ridiculed the widely accepted climate change science.

Exxon is too smug and evil to deserve your business no matter what they do!

4. They have them little screens on the pump but don't air Huffington Post News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back