OCI on PYB or VWB SAE30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning faithful BITOG'ers,

My stash contains a significant quantity of PYB/VWB SAE 30 oil. Some of it will get used in OPE and the break in on some new engines I've built but I'd be interested to see how it performed in a daily driver such as my 2004 Lexus ES330 or 1987 4Runner. What would be a reasonable OCI for this oil? I was thinking 5,000 in the Lexus that gets driven 110 miles round trip per day to work and gets used mostly short trips on non working days. Of course I'll do a UOA at the end of the run to evaluate the oils condition but looking for thoughts on how far the first run should be before a sample.

5k sounds right...and FL no worries using straight 30, especially in summer.

I also had a bunch of Rotella SAE 30 from when I had a Detroit 2-stroke diesel.

I've been mixing it 50/50 with Motorcraft Semi-syn 5W-20 and running it in my 4.6 liter F150, but only in the summer.

I go 7,000-8,000 on this mix, which is (honestly) probably draining it too soon.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I also had a bunch of Rotella SAE 30 from when I had a Detroit 2-stroke diesel.

I've been mixing it 50/50 with Motorcraft Semi-syn 5W-20 and running it in my 4.6 liter F150, but only in the summer.

I go 7,000-8,000 on this mix, which is (honestly) probably draining it too soon.

I do love the 2 stroke Detroits. Nothing in the world sounds quite like them. Detroit specific oil is relatively low in metallic additives due to the low SA requirement to prevent liner damage ring coking etc, overall it's probably a little light in the additive department compared to PYB SAE 30, I would say mixing it with the 5w20 is a great way to use it up and not have it just sit on a shelf unused. In service in a Detroit I swear as much comes out of the air box drains and out every gasket over an OCI as comes out of the pan when it's drained, they do have quite the reputation as "green leakers"! That said I still love that engine and plan on increasing my fleet of them when I retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back