Oil additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across a video on fb advertising that was promoting a product called carboss something. Anyways it prosmised 3-7% more mpg, quiter motor, less wear. And it says use every 40k miles. Its 99.99 and it comes in a needle like package. My thought is its pure snake oil, ii may be wrong though. I just cant see anyone buying a 100 dallor oil additive. Your thoughts?

No.

Oil already has a ton of additives, carefully balanced by the engineers who made it. Also if there was a magic chemical that gave 5% higher MPG, the carmakers would already be using it, so they can avoid fines from the U.S. government (CAFE minimums)

Google there name there website has very profound resuslts. Must be a joke. I was looking at where the item location is and its only 2 hours from me in washington.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
.... My thought is its pure snake oil, I may be wrong though. ...

You're not wrong.

Looks like it might be like the "Restore" product that applies grit, in the oil, to slightly scuff up ring and cylinder (among other) surfaces. If that's the case, it has an effect, but their claims are wild.
Having scuffed up surfaces captures oil at the surface and can restore compression.

I doubt if actual nano-particles are being used. Not that small. If or when the FTC pays attention, they will cut and run. Snake oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Looks like it might be like the "Restore" product that applies grit, in the oil, to slightly scuff up ring and cylinder (among other) surfaces. If that's the case, it has an effect, but their claims are wild.
Having scuffed up surfaces captures oil at the surface and can restore compression.

I doubt if actual nano-particles are being used. Not that small. If or when the FTC pays attention, they will cut and run. Snake oil.

IIRC Restore uses softer metals to fill score marks, groves, etc, to make a better seal between the rings and cylinder walls. God only knows what happens inside the oil filter, but I know a few people who used it in oil burning beaters and had positive results with it. You would have to add it every time you change your oil though. I guess for someone looking to get a few more months out of a beater, or who wants to off load a lemon it might be an alternative to LOS. LOS seems to have its place in helping to off load an oil burning knocking lemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back