Delvac 75W-90 Gear OIl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on the Delvac 1 Gear Oil vs the Mobil 1 variety?
It is more expensive, but after replacing the front differential on my Nissan Titan, I would like the best possible.

Thanks!

If your differential calls for a 75w-90 synthetic gear oil, Delvac is an excellent choice. It is on a long list of "approved fluids" for numerous builders of heavy duty commercial drive trains and it meets GL-5 / MT-1, SAEJ2360. Mobil-1 is not on the list.

First generation Titan 2004.
Yes the 1st gen axle pop out so not lubricant related, but still would like the best quality product as others have had other issues.
Thanks for the info also xtell!

Originally Posted By: xtell
Mobil-1 is not on the list.

You're comparing apples and oranges; Mobil 1 is targeted at the consumer market. According, it's not going to be tested against the list of commerical/military specs.

If your differential calls for a 75w-90 synthetic gear oil, Delvac is an excellent choice. It is on a long list of "approved fluids" for numerous builders of heavy duty commercial drive trains and it meets GL-5 / MT-1, SAEJ2360. Mobil-1 is not on the list.

Valvoline synpower 75w90 meets all the same tough specs, but is easier to find and cheaper. It's my go to gear oil. Seems to have the best specs at under $10 per quart.

You cant do much better than delvac gear oil.

That is a pretty easy life for gear oil.. front diff on a 4x4 truck.

Originally Posted By: Jeff7777
First generation Titan 2004.

Differentials on these trucks were too light-duty for the application; mid-size running gear on a full-size engine/frame platform.

After blowing up left-and-right, TSB was issued early on to run 75w-140 in the rear end. Front axle isn't under the same continued stress with how most people use them, but they don't have a spectacular success rate went put to work.

Frankly, I'd just go get some Synpower 75w-140, and dump it in both diffs.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Valvoline synpower 75w90 meets all the same tough specs, but is easier to find and cheaper. It's my go to gear oil. Seems to have the best specs at under $10 per quart.

Agree. Delvac is great. Synpower is more common and meets J2360 as well. I can walk into AZ and buy it. Only reason I would seek Delvac is if I needed a fluid that wasn't dosed with limited-slip friction modifiers for a specific application.

Valvoline Synthetic HD gear oil is "major builder" approved versus Valvoline Synpower gear oil which is not. For everyday use in mild automotive applications, Valvoline Synpower gear oil is an excellent choice.

Valvoline Synthetic HD gear oil is "major builder" approved versus Valvoline Synpower gear oil which is not.

applesOranges.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rand
That is a pretty easy life for gear oil.. front diff on a 4x4 truck.

Do some research on this specific application...

The OP was comparing Delvac gear oil to Mobil-1 gear oil. I was just giving him some incite as to the differences. Between the two gear oils Delvac has a broader application and greater list of approvals/specifications it meets. Delvac gear oil can be found at most truck stops or bought from local lubricant distributors often times for less that Mobil-1 gear oil can be purchased from auto stores. Mobil-1 gear lubricant is a good lubricant though, no doubt about it.

Originally Posted By: Jeff7777
I would like the best possible.

Best possible IS the highest KV@40*C possible, preferably ones that contains no VII's .
blush.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back