How to keep warranty if doing my own oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would certainly consider extensive record keeping because the cost to make almost any repair on current cars is really expensive. Modern cars are not maintenance friendly toward the owner that may lack special tools, a lift and diagnostic tools.

At 32 years and over 400K miles I think my Civic is a bit out of warranty so I don't keep records like I would for a new car. My record keeping is only to keep track of what's coming up next. I know the resale value has dropped below the cost of a cup of coffee to others even though it's my daily driver and worth a lot to me.

Most dealers can change oil without incident. They are free for two years. The "bad dealers posts" surely out number the good experiences here on BITOG.

There are some forum members here who posts good dealer experiences-but not as many who bash them.

Last edited:
Only thing I own now thats under warranty is my jeep. Chrysler's MOPAR.COM website is a little clunky but it has a good record keeping system. I can add my own service records that show along side the dealer service records.The website also has a maintenance schedule that works off the millage that are entered in the records. Gives you a nice little list of things that need to be done as milestones are reached.

I buy my oil filter at the dealer around the time I need it and keep the recite.
I keep the recite for the ms-6395 certified oil.
And I have a log book in the glove box.

Last edited:
I have found using the owners section on the OEM website to document repairs and services is a good place to keep such records. Dealers have access to the site information and plug in records of when a vehicle is in at dealer for something. I can go in there and put in service record of oil changes and anything else I do to the vehicle. Both my 2015 2500 Silverado and my 2006 Cadillac CTS. I don't keep individual receipts at each change. I buy my personal oil/filter stuff in bulk with my commercial buys.

One thing nice about a web based record setup, the information is available when trading or selling.

In order to void an engine warranty repair, the manufacturer would have to show that the engine failure was caused by oil that didn't work because it had been left in way past the point when it effectively lubricated the engine.

As long as the oil is changed on a reasonable schedule (even if used longer than the manufacturer recommends) there would be no case for the manufacturer to legitimately deny an engine warranty repair because the owner could not document beyond all reasonable doubt that each and every change was done on or before the recommended interval.

Thank you for the replies everyone. Will start keeping records of the oil purchases once the time comes to change it and update the maintenance records on line
smile.gif

I keep 3x5 notebooks in the glove box of every vehicle I own. I record the date, mileage, what work was done, brand and part numbers of parts, and sometimes where I bought it and if it has a lifetime warranty.

I also keep receipts in separate folders in a filing cabinet in the house but I don't always keep oil and filter receipts. With the record keeping I do, I'm not worried about being denied warranty because of no receipts.

I only have one vehicle still under any type of warranty but I still keep my logs on my other vehicles so I can look back and see when things were done or what part number I used last time if I have to replace something again.

Wayne

do you have a smart phone? if so, Gas Cubby,
if not then fuelly.com
and keep the receipts of oil purchased along with filters.
with gas cubby you can add more then just fuel stops.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
All you have to do is keep a log with the miles and date, that's all you need.

I agree. If you want to get fancy indicate the oil and filter brand.

This is what I do because I won't remember the last time I did something on my truck. Basically I take the receipt and staple it to an 8.5x11 white sheet of printer paper and i'll write down what I did and write down the total miles and hours on the truck and also the miles and hours on the fluid or part. Except for gear oil or something like that then I just write down the miles. No need for keeping track of run time for that.

This is more for me than anyone else. I asked a question on here a while back about maintenance records when selling a car and apparently most people don't really care to see them.

Really too bad that folks feel they need to go to such extremes with personal vehicles. Commercial vehicle owners do not have to jump thru so many hoops. I have yet, in 5 million miles of commercial vehicle use, ever had a dealer or OEM even question when I changed oil or what oil and filter I was using. Have never had to produce one receipt for such information. Even on my personal stuff, I have never had a dealer ask any of those questions either, yes, even when going in for some warranty work. One might hear of an anecdotal story of it being a problem, but I have not ever seen or heard first hand of warranty being denied over such details. If the oil looks like asphalt tar, that would tell all that is needed for a dealer to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back