Rented a 2017 Impala over Christmas weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
This car is just as good (maybe better) than the auto reviewers claim it to be.
I can see why this car is rated as good as it is.

Rented the car for three days and put roughly 1000kms on it.
Drove through some of the harshest mountain driving imaginable (along trans Canada through the snow-swept mountains with only all season tires). Despite only having the 2.5 inline four, it was able to outpace many larger displacement vehicles without breaking a sweat or demonstrating any noticeable NVH (noise, vibration, harshness).

Our car came with only 1400km (875 miles) wrapped in a beautiful dark blue metallic.
It was a more basic model with no heated seats or sunroof, but it did have heated mirrors and Sirius XM radio. Sadly the WiFi service was unavailable
frown.gif

On the highway is where this car shines brightest effortlessly pulling manoeuvres reserved for BMW"s and MB's. Despite being as large as a seven series it never lost composure while changing lanes at high speeds. At one point of the trip I placed a 1.5 liter bottle of water on the center console. I forgot it there and proceeded the trip, to realize that despite numerious city and highway lane changes and turns, the bottle never moved from it's place on the arm rest(not in a cup holder).

Passing power was decent for a four cylinder. Recently I sold my MIL on a 2016 Impala with the V6. When overtaking I wondered how much more authority that car would have over the four cylinder we rented. Regardless, the four cylinder was no dog around town or on the highway where it returned very respectable mileage.

Interior was very well assembled. When closing the doors and operating the switch gear there was a solid feel to everything. Once I discovered the 90's rap station I tried the bass output. It was tight and as smooth as what you'd expect on a performance audio system with no rattles or buzzing from the doors/rear decklid.

Seats were decent overall, with power for driver and power lumbar for both front seats. While they were comfortable, the headrest wasn't as comfortable as I'd hoped for. As a result they became a bit uncomfortable after 2-3 hours of driving.

I tried several times to get an Impala as a rental. Finally I got the car I'd always wanted and it was everything I had hoped it would be.

If I were in the market for a newer car, I think I'd opt for the smaller sibling Malibu as it's had similarly high ratings as the Impala.

Cheers!

I had one as a rental too, but I got a pretty loaded V6 model. I too was very impressed, I thought it was a great driving car. I'm a fan of that platform, I liked the LaCrosse and XTS too.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I had one as a rental too, but I got a pretty loaded V6 model. I too was very impressed, I thought it was a great driving car. I'm a fan of that platform, I liked the LaCrosse and XTS too.

I agree, those buicks are pretty nice IMO, may beat the Impala in features.

The impala was a 5k premium over my malibu when i was car shopping. They are really nice and have the same motor as my malibu 2.5L 4cyl. Its a decent and peppy motor. I kind of wished i would have opted for the impala but I'm plenty happy with my malibu. I usually get 27-30mpg with my malibu. Since it is winter its down around 25mpg.

Last edited:
What kind of highway maneuvers are reserved for BMW and MB?

Glad to hear a good review of the Impala. The one I rented 10 years ago was mediocre.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Leo99

Not using turn signals?

Laser beam go no go?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Glad to hear a good review of the Impala. The one I rented 10 years ago was mediocre.

Aggressive lane changes, abrupt slow-downs/stops etc.

Many changes in the 10 years you've been away.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Impala/

I can tell you're not from New Jersey. We don't need fancy German cars to make aggressive lane changes or hit the brakes hard here.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

Aggressive lane changes, abrupt slow-downs/stops etc.

Many changes in the 10 years you've been away.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Impala/

I can tell you're not from New Jersey. We don't need fancy German cars to make aggressive lane changes or hit the brakes hard here.

No, I'm certainly not.
I'm not saying you need a "fancy German car", I'm just saying if you want to do it without losing control it's usually left to cars designed to be driven aggressively with a more sport-oriented suspension setup.

I bought a 2016 Impala 2.5 in June when GM was offering a 20% discount. I've done a couple of 1000 mile trips from Philadelphia to Tampa and was averaging 32 MPG. With the 18 gallon tank, I was seeing a range of 580 miles. It was quiet and comfortable with adequate power. Although the car was willing to go more than 500 miles without stopping, I was easily able to cover 300 miles before I needed a break.

I considered the Malibu but with the 20% discount, the Impala turned out to cost less than an equivalent Malibu. Pretty hard to turn that kind of deal down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back