Synthetic oil add packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to say that most of the major synthetic oils, with the exception of valvoline, have similar add packs. I know valvoline uses sodium but are qsud,pp,and castrol, all pretty similar?

PQIA oils

It's not a given so you have to look at a VOA or a PDS (if listed).

SOPUS and many others use the higher calcium and no sodium and no magnesium add pack. SOPUS is consistent as far as I know.

There are high magnesium oils (Mobil 1 and some Castrol). Even Mobil is not consistent having some of their products with magnesium while others match the SOPUS make up. M1 0w-40 for example has no magnesium. And some of the Castrol products have no magnesium as well. The formulations can change as well.

I don't see any major blender that mixes magnesium with sodium in their add packs. I can only guess that for either performance and/or monetary reasons they choose not to do so.

GF-6 should bring all new formulations, Toyota is claiming to have solved LSPI with their new spec.

Read the VOA's Tom post's over on PQIA. Study the PPM's of the additives used over the brands as well as review the MSDS sheets from the brands if and when published of the percentages of base stocks, detergents, etc.

There are only a hand full of corporations that make the additive packages.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
GF-6 should bring all new formulations, Toyota is claiming to have solved LSPI with their new spec.

Toyota solved that a decade ago with dual injection port and direct injectors on 2GR-FSE egnines.

More adds in oil than just the metal (inorganic) part that shows up on a PQIA VOA. The ashless (organic) adds like VII, PPD and dispersants can change but not show up on a simple VOA.

HDEO and Euro ACEA (Ax/Bx) oils need to pass a shear stability test (not part of API SN) and so these oils tend to use more shear stable VII's. Having said that, most good name brand synthetic SN oils are also A5 or A3.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Originally Posted By: dblshock

Toyota solved that a decade ago with dual injection port and direct injectors on 2GR-FSE egnines.

not an engine spec, a Toyota oil spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back