Recommendation for 15 nissan versa

Status
Not open for further replies.
0w30 is something to ask the service manager at the dealer and get it in writing. Still researching the benefit of 0w30 over 5w30. I live in southern AZ which does get cold but never below -5F.

Ended up getting M1 5w30 EP and will utilize their mail-in-rebate

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: jahwarrior1423
Since you bring up 0w30, wouldn't that void my warranty?

Mobil says that their Advance Fuel Economy meets the warranty requirements of 5w30 (or something pretty close to that). By running it you could see better fuel economy because you drive mainly highway. I didn't see a difference in my short trip stop and go commute. Ran fine (butt/ear dyno).

How would he see better fuel economy with his driving of mainly highway with a 0w30 AFE compared to a 5w30 conventional? When at operating temperatures, they are both 30 wt oils and there would be virtually no appreciable gain either way. The only difference he will notice is less money in his wallet with AFE with 7.5k intervals.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Since you bring up 0w30, wouldn't that void my warranty?

Mobil says that their Advance Fuel Economy meets the warranty requirements of 5w30 (or something pretty close to that). By running it you could see better fuel economy because you drive mainly highway. I didn't see a difference in my short trip stop and go commute. Ran fine (butt/ear dyno).

How would he see better fuel economy with his driving of mainly highway with a 0w30 AFE compared to a 5w30 conventional? When at operating temperatures, they are both 30 wt oils and there would be virtually no appreciable gain either way. The only difference he will notice is less money in his wallet with AFE with 7.5k intervals.

I'd have to refer you to Mobil or someone more knowledgeable than me.

The AFE costs the same if not less than the EP he decided to go with so I don't get your point. Glad to hear he went for the rebate. Good choice of oil for a good price.

I have a 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6L V4 with 400+ miles now. I've been reading a lot about oils this past week but am still unsure which to go with. Car recommends 5w30 and OCI at 7,5k miles. Car is under warranty. You guys made a good point not to get EP oils since I'll be forced to change the oil before then because of the warranty that I have. The oils I see being recommended over and over is M1EP and PU. But nothing in the area of oil I'm needing for shorter OCI. I began looking at Amsoil 5w30 XL but it seems to not get much respect from you guys because there isn't much data given from Amsoil.

With your guys expertise in oils, what would you recommend for a commuter car like mine that needs to follow a 7,5k OCI?

In reality, I'll probably change at 5k because most of those miles are high RPMs from highway driving.

Amsoil isn't too hard to get in my area. Priced around $7.80 for XL.

Or would using a EP oil be beneficial since most of the miles driven are high RPMs and change at 7,5k?

Since you're considering Amsoil and a 5k interval, have a look at the OE. With preferred customer pricing [yes detractors, insert discussion about MLM and membership fees etc here] you should be able to get OE for $4.40 a quart. It will easily do 5k and with your highway driving might go 7500 without a problem (but I'd get a UOA to be sure on that)

The AFE costs the same if not less than the EP he decided to go with so I don't get your point. Glad to hear he went for the rebate. Good choice of oil for a good price.

My point is that he could go with the cheapest name brand conventional on sale and not mess with rebates, be just as protected and not need synthetic at all. He will get tired of driving the car long before any oil related wear shows up, if ever.

Originally Posted By: jayg

My point is that he could go with the cheapest name brand conventional on sale and not mess with rebates, be just as protected and not need synthetic at all. He will get tired of driving the car long before any oil related wear shows up, if ever.

I would agree. I change my note oil based on severe conditions. Wife does a lot of short trips every day. With my using conventional,blend, or synthetic I do not see any milage changes. The blend I have in it now was just a few dollars above the conventional Supertech price so I bought several 5 quart bottles and moved on. With as little a capacity on this engine those bottles will go quite a ways. I doubt I will ever see a oil related issue with whatever I use with as often as I change oil

Last edited:
I also have a 2015 Versa, with 23k miles on it. I picked up some 0W-20 Castrol Magnatec for $2 a quart today, would it be ok to run in the car paired with a Wix filter? I live in Southern California so temps range from 30-40s now at the worst to 110-115 come summer time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back