christmas eve fun with Advance auto parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the radiator on my wife's 08 matrix started leaking.

We needed one in a pinch, and I had little time to do it myself, so I called a local mechanic I'm friendly with and the only place in town that had the radiator was advance auto.

Replaced radiator once, that one was leaking coolant right away.

My mechanic exchanged the radiator, and installed the new one. Looked fine, dry for 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks, sprung a leak at the bottom near the oil cooler. Dripping coolant in the driveway and wife can not drive car.

Christmas Eve, did not want to pay a mechanic again, so I did the job myself.

Decided not to put another CARQUEST/Advance chinese radiator in the car. Ordered a Denso OEM radiator on Amazon Prime for half of what advance charged me.

Denso radiator went in perfect, no issues.

Christmas eve, I wrapped the defective radiator up, and took it back to advance, explaining that they already gave me two bad radiators and I didn't want three, so give me my money back please.

Cocky 20 something employee says "we can only exchange for another radiator, can not do a return, sorry about your luck". Then goes "you might want to try the store you bought the radiator at, and see if they will approve the return, but I won't do it here". I told the kid, that makes no sense, he says sorry about your luck merry christmas.

Mind you, the store I purchased originally from is 30 minutes away.

So I drove 30 minutes, on the way there I call the manager of the original store, he tells me he will take the radiator back for refund. I get to the store, he is apologizing profusely for the actions of the other store, asked for the employees name and said he would call the manager and straighten him out.

Lesson learned, is to just deal with amazon for pretty much anything.

If you paid by credit card you can get your money back, always, within 30 days. Just tell 'em they're taking it back, and, if not, take names and call your credit card company from right in the store.

Buying brick-and-mortar versus online each has its pros & cons. Amazon has one of the best return policies. I bought a KOYORAD from them and it leaked right out the box. Contacted customer service, printed out a return shipping label and the UPS guy picked up the box from my front door.

Something like a CV axle I'd only buy locally. Good luck using a "lifetime warranty" with some online seller.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Buying brick-and-mortar versus online each has its pros & cons. Amazon has one of the best return policies. I bought a KOYORAD from them and it leaked right out the box. Contacted customer service, printed out a return shipping label and the UPS guy picked up the box from my front door.

Something like a CV axle I'd only buy locally. Good luck using a "lifetime warranty" with some online seller.

Yeah not so happy with my koyorad. lasted 5 months. Have to take it out to warranty it

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you paid by credit card you can get your money back, always, within 30 days. Just tell 'em they're taking it back, and, if not, take names and call your credit card company from right in the store.

Exactly. This is why I buy big ticket items with a card and then pay it off immediately. Stores absolutely hate dealing with credit card companies and contested purchases and usually relent when you prove you know the system and how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back