Review this Guy's oil testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
LINK: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/ - "My test data EXACTLY matches real world severe over-heating experience, real world Track experience, real world flat tappet break-in experience, and real world High Performance Street experience. Test data validation doesn’t get any better than this."

But my car doesn't overheat.
Or see a track.
At least he adds this: "A normal daily driver vehicle may operate just fine for the life of the engine on, say, a low performing 60,000 psi motor oil."

- "According to a Royal Purple Motor Oil Engineer I spoke with a few years ago, he said only people outside of the Motor Oil Industry, use the unprofessional terminology of calling new oil lab tests, virgin oil analysis (VOA), and used oil lab tests, used oil analysis (UOA). The VOA and UOA references are commonly used on Internet Forum discussions about motor oil, even though they are not legitimate names."

- "The poor wear protection performance of all but the one particular top ranked Diesel oil, makes it very clear that in general, Diesel oils are a poor choice for High Performance gas engines."

I can't help noticing the lack of AMSoil, Red Line, Royal Purple or Schaeffers in this top 20: Zero times. (Mobil appears 5; uaker 3.)

Top Brands (not including Prolong/other additives)
(3) 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula
(4) 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability
(5) 5W30 Pentosin Pento Super Performance III
(6) 5W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability
(7) 5W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic

(9) 10W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic
(10) 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra
(11) 5W20 Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage
(12) 5W30 Mobil 1 ESP Formula
(13) 5W30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability

(14) 5W30 Pennzoil Euro “AV” European Formula
(15) 5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil
(16) 5W30 Mag 1, FMX, European Formula
(19) 5W30 Oil Extreme Motor Oil
(20) 5W40 Mag 1, FMX, European Formula

(21) 5W30 Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage
(22) 5W30 Castrol Edge Professional “LL03”
(23) 10W30 Lucas Racing Only synthetic
(24) CFS 0W30 NT Millers Nanodrive Racing Oil
(25) 5W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic

Really. If you missed the recent thread with that site, then there are numerous old ones where it is thoroughly trashed discussed.

wink.gif

OP, Google "540Rat bitog" it is thoroughly a
18.gif

veryHeavy strikes me as a member who's been here longer than a month. Five internets to whomever guesses his identity.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
veryHeavy strikes me as a member who's been here longer than a month. Five internets to whomever guesses his identity.

Given his writing style my guess is that gearheadtool is out of prison. Or posting from prison.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
- "According to a Royal Purple Motor Oil Engineer I spoke with a few years ago, he said only people outside of the Motor Oil Industry, use the unprofessional terminology of calling new oil lab tests, virgin oil analysis (VOA), and used oil lab tests, used oil analysis (UOA). The VOA and UOA references are commonly used on Internet Forum discussions about motor oil, even though they are not legitimate names."

Yes, Mola, Ed Hackett, Doug Hillary, and a few others here certainly need lessons in terminology from an unnamed source on a blog.
whistle.gif
Please give them the direct link to that quote so we can ensure they enhance their education.
wink.gif
Oddly enough, I've seen that terminology used in scientific papers and in industry literature, too.

Beyond that, I've rehashed my issues with this blog in numerous other threads, already linked in this thread. Discuss there if you want.

That study looks like it was sponsored by a well know snake oil company, it is full of errors. For example, friction does not always result in wear. Moly and other friction modifying additives will reduce friction, BUT nearly half of all long term wear is caused by corrosion, not direct metal to metal contacts that might cause some extra friction. So you can have an oil that is not good in friction terms, but produces real good wear figure and keeps the block clean, which is very important in the long term but does not show up just one UOA.

The section on Zinc based additives fails to understand that the AW layer is not just composed of Zinc, as it has other AW, EP or FM additive components and it is the way they work together in a balanced add pack that matters just as much as the amount used.

The comments on break in oils are not good either, as the type of oil used depends on which type of engine is involved and the assembly lubes used. The general trend is to use more high additive assembly lubes and less high additive special break in oils, as it's cheaper to do that and it makes the engine less prone to a bad break in because it was abused by the delivery drivers in particular.

In short the entire report seems biased towards its sponsor and is of no real interest.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy

This would not matter even if it were true. The terms have a clear meaning, and are widely understood.

I even understand the acronyms, which is pretty unusual on here.

Who was the member that used to post all of the clickbait Yahoo news articles before he was banned? He was especially fond of ethanol and hybrid stories.

Who was the member that used to post all of the clickbait Yahoo news articles before he was banned? He was especially fond of ethanol and hybrid stories.

Not HTHSS?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Not HTHSS?

That's it. HTSS_TR.

If this isn't Joseph, it's him.

Originally Posted By: wemay
HTSS_TR was banned? What happened?

I haven't seen him on here in forever. I'm with wemay,what happened??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back