2006 BMW 325ix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had inspection by my normal mechanic and oil seepage or leak present.

I offered $3000 and don't expect to hear back.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Audios
Id avoid these cars with the newer N52K, these engine have a few issues that can be relatively pricey to repair compared to the earlier ones. We often see water pump/ thermostat failure ($1100-1300) rear shocks and mounts ($800 depending on shocks) cam adjuster solenoids, heavy oil leaks from valve cover or oil filter housing gaskets, and ignition coil failures. The transfer case actuators are beginning to fail more often, and they require run flat tires which are more expensive to replace than regular non runflats. Plus seat mat sensors in the passenger seats fail, usually more than 1k to repair or you'll have a constant airbag light. BMWs have really fallen in terms of reliability with the release of this vehicle back in 2006. Id either try to find an older one with the more reliable engine/less electronics, or avoid a german car altogether.

I've actually heard just the opposite, that the newer BMWs are more reliable. It has been my experience as well, at least with the 3 series.

The e46 for example is plagued with sub frame cracking issues, massive oil leaks, suspension bushings constantly failing, electrical problems, fuel pump issues, sensors, cooling system problems, and vacuum leaks. When the M54 engine overheats it usually blows the head gasket and/or pulls the head bolt threads out of the block.

The e90 cars are more complex, but seem to be better engineered. Consumer reports (even though I'm not a big fan of them) gave the 2009-2011 e90 3-series an above average reliability rating.

I maintain 2 e46 cars. One with 40k miles (a 2004), and another with 121k miles (a 2005). The car with 40k has had the water pump and expansion tank replaced, and a few suspension bits. The car with 121k miles has had the entire cooling system replaced, all shocks, front springs, fuel pump, crank sensor, DISA valve, door lock actuators, 2 window motors, valve cover gasket (x3), oil filter housing gasket.

My friend's 2006 325XI e90 has 114k miles and has had the water pump replaced at 70k, tires, and now at 114k the oil filter housing is starting to seep a bit. And this is one of the earlier cars with more potential flaws.

Obviously the newer cars with direct injection and turbos are more likely to have problems (335i, 535i, 135i, etc), and the V8 cars can be a bit more problematic as well.

No, Audios is spot-on from my experience. The E90s appeared to be more reliable early on, but as they aged, the issues became far more expensive and complex than the common E46 problems. Plus keep in mind that the E90 has far more modules, and many electronics replacements require coding or vehicle reprogramming.

There are more modules, but you can buy the Bavarian Technic code reader software for under $200 and do most of the programming and diagnosing yourself. What modules have you experienced failure with?

There are more modules, but you can buy the Bavarian Technic code reader software for under $200 and do most of the programming and diagnosing yourself. What modules have you experienced failure with?

There are instances where you will need to flash powertrain modules with updated software as part of a repair. Modules such as the DME, CAS and others will require coding if replaced. N54 injectors also need to be coded when replaced. These are things that you'll need ISTA-P or Autologic to accomplish, and Barvarian Technics won't be able to help you (maybe it can do injector coding, not sure). Not every vehicle will experience failures or situations that require coding or software updates to repair, but I just wanted to point out that this is an extra expense/step that will be more common with the E90 than the earlier chassis vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Had inspection by my normal mechanic and oil seepage or leak present.

I offered $3000 and don't expect to hear back.

Did he say where it was leaking?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

There are instances where you will need to flash powertrain modules with updated software as part of a repair. Modules such as the DME, CAS and others will require coding if replaced. N54 injectors also need to be coded when replaced. These are things that you'll need ISTA-P or Autologic to accomplish, and Barvarian Technics won't be able to help you (maybe it can do injector coding, not sure). Not every vehicle will experience failures or situations that require coding or software updates to repair, but I just wanted to point out that this is an extra expense/step that will be more common with the E90 than the earlier chassis vehicles.

Very true. The N54 with turbos and direct injection I usually steer people away from. They are just too complex and expensive. Simple things such as coolant pipes to the turbos have one time use clamps and other fun stuff making it a pain to DIY. The N52 is the more reliable option if wanting to purchase a used e90. I find the N52 has plenty of power and unless tracking the car I feel the added power doesn't justify the additional expense. Just my opinion though. There are a few guys with N52 cars on e90 post that have 300k+ miles. Obviously it will take a bit more maintenance and part replacement to get a BMW to 300k than a Toyota, but it's doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back