Longer OCI with Synth blends than straight Dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, my 08 Honda Element calls for 5k OCI with presumably straight Dino oil. I had done all my oil changes at the dealer and they used Honda Synth blend. With the Synth blend, could I have (theoretically) went longer than 5k between oil changes or does it need to stick to the same intervals as straight Dino?

Depends on your driving style. If you are going highway more than city,and trips are generally more than a few miles then 6-7k would be probable.The Honda 0w20 blend is a Conoco Phillips made and I am almost certain its a 40+ percent synthetic. Many on here suggest a used oil analysis as that will tell you so much more.

If you want to go longer than a regular OC, a good place to start would be using an oil specifically formulated for extended OC

I am surprised the OC interval is so 'short'

Doesn't your Element have an OLM? If so, you can safely follow it with confidence
smile.gif

Anyway, all SN "dino" is a syn blend anyway, since it has to be in order to meet the SN standards. That said, for OLM cars, I usually like to use the cheapest full syn on sale and run it to the computer-suggested OCI. You can often get a full syn for the price of dino, so why not? In fact, Napa Synthetic is on sale for $2.99 until the end of the year. It is rebranded Synpower.

I wouldn't put any extra confidence in a synthetic blend versus a straight dino oil.

If you indeed want to do extended OCI's, pick an oil and filter up to the task like M1EP and a premium filter. In fact, if the available 5W-30, 0W-30, and 0W-40 grades work for your vehicle, an LL-01 Euro oil might be a great choice.

+1 ... got a buddy who knows how much "synthetic" is in his oil - he dumps one quart M1 in Mobil super ...

Not sure what the mix rate is on other semi's - but they tend to be premium conventional plus ...

Yes, my Element has a computer "maintenance minder" but it always works out to around 5k when it calls for an oil change and that is what the manual calls for as well. The manual does't call for Synthetic or a Synthetic blend, it just calls for a quality 5w-20 oil. I've actually been somewhat nervous about even the 5k OCI's because I was always a 3k/3month OCI guy but I figured that with the Synth blend, the 5k was OK. I was then curious if with the Synth blend I could have been going even a little longer, like to 7.5k OCI.

Originally Posted By: Garyd
Yes, my Element has a computer "maintenance minder" but it always works out to around 5k when it calls for an oil change and that is what the manual calls for as well. The manual does't call for Synthetic or a Synthetic blend, it just calls for a quality 5w-20 oil. I've actually been somewhat nervous about even the 5k OCI's because I was always a 3k/3month OCI guy but I figured that with the Synth blend, the 5k was OK. I was then curious if with the Synth blend I could have been going even a little longer, like to 7.5k OCI.

Maybe, depending on the driving conditions. If it's all highway miles, long trips, easy on the engine you may even be able to do 10k on a syn blend. OTOH, city-style driving is harder on the engine, so even 5k might be a lot.

I've seen an 08 Civic's minder vary from 4000 miles to 7000 (owner got a different job with a longer commute, but the highway driving is easier on the car).

What are your driving conditions like?

Also, different syn blends may have differing amounts of synthetic in them. For example, Pennzoil Gold is "at least 50%" synthetic, while Motorcraft is around 60% syn. I think Maxlife is around 30% syn, but this was before they changed it to meet dexos. Some of the "dino" could be upto 30% syn as well. Cheap Smitty's at Kmart is 10% Group IV.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Garyd

Maybe, depending on the driving conditions. If it's all highway miles, long trips, easy on the engine you may even be able to do 10k on a syn blend. OTOH, city-style driving is harder on the engine, so even 5k might be a lot.

I've seen an 08 Civic's minder vary from 4000 miles to 7000 (owner got a different job with a longer commute, but the highway driving is easier on the car).

What are your driving conditions like?

Also, different syn blends may have differing amounts of synthetic in them. For example, Pennzoil Gold is "at least 50%" synthetic, while Motorcraft is around 60% syn. I think Maxlife is around 30% syn, but this was before they changed it to meet dexos. Some of the "dino" could be upto 30% syn as well. Cheap Smitty's at Kmart is 10% Group IV.

I drive about 50/50 highway/city, which is (i guess) why my maintenance minder always alerts at around 5k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back