Best Group II 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Mac Joe;
I was looking at engine oils for CNG & LPG. You can pick TBN & SA levels in both single and multi grades.
Some products are specifically blended for engines converted from gasoline or diesel to gas fuelled.
Could these engine oils be used as a platform for other applications?

My gut feel is to say yes but if you've got a link to what you're looking at, I could comment in more detail.

Just one word of advice. Be careful in interpreting the wonderfully clean pictures of engine parts that are often used in adverts for LPG/CNG engine oils. It's not the oil that's great, it's that the fuel is so clean burning & the engine environment so benign relative to a typical petrol or diesel engine.

Last edited:
www.lubricants.petro-canada.ca >> natural gas engine oils>> sentron>>VTP

I had a quick look and I'm going to change my mind and say no...

First, a lot of these oils are low ash (5 - 6 TBN). TBN is a cheap, Noack friendly, effective acid-mopper-upper additive in gasoline engines. Ideally I'd want around 10 TBN.

Second, my guess is that a lot of these oils are Group II based. Yes they may be mono grades but Group II isn't ideal for Noack in a way that PAO is. I did see there is a synthetic option there but there's no way to tell what it is exactly.

Finally, my admittedly very limited experience with LPG/CNG engines is with running them on standard PCMO. Even the lowliest of PCMO's will perform brilliantly because of all the usual stuff standard PCMO contains. I may well be wrong but these LPG/CNG oils look like they have been specifically formulated for LPG/CNG service and therefore may lack some of the goodies that make for a good PCMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this;

The Petro-Can Lube plant, the 2nd of its kind (modeled on the Chevron process), group II & III in NA built in the late 90s with Canadian tax dollars.

If true, the Sentron CNGs would be IIs & IIIs.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this;

The Petro-Can Lube plant, the 2nd of its kind (modeled on the Chevron process), group II & III in NA built in the late 90s with Canadian tax dollars.

If true, the Sentron CNGs would be IIs & IIIs.

You could well be right. Petro-Canada Group II was certainly the first Group II I ever played around with in the late '90s. There was a time when it was 'received wisdom' that if you had a difficult Group I Cat 1MPC engine test to pass, the way to do things was to run the test with Petro-Canada Group II and use the Read-across Tables to read to the Group I position. Unfortunately, like a lot of received wisdom, doled out by people who don't truly understand things or actually have to pay for stuff, the advice turned out to be entirely bogus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back