Purolator Pure One and Boss cut open RUST!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will believe what I want to. Closely read what I already clearly stated. It is all there and clear to see.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I thought Fram uses a corrosion inhibitor coating in their filters? Perhaps Puro forgot a step?

I know the Ultra has a coating on the base plate, probably rust preventative. The Purolator the OP posted up was obviously exposed to moisture, but it's strange he got more than one with rust. For the base plate to rust like it did, seems there was water in direct contact at some point in its short life.

Now this hypothesis presented by Nate1979 has some merit well worth considering. I agree with you Zee0six that if Fram uses a anti corrosion film that would explain why they have had zero problems with rust at all. And like Nate said, it could be possible this process was missed/skipped by Purolator.
Still seems like a lot of rust for such a short period of time. But, could have well happened in that short period of time if a process was missed and filter saw a lot of moisture as well. Or, could it just have been old pieces that were around that had rust already and were just put into the production line?
I think that Nate's hypothesis is well worthy of consideration as a possible explanation as to what transpired with these filters.

Last edited:
C'mon people, you know when steel has no lubricant/oil that it rusts. Once the oil is in the filter all will be well.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Repainted
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Trying to clear those 1970s filters out of the stores..

Hey now I DID put [conspiracy theory] in my post LOL

The One end cap almost looks like it was burnt or was in acid. The bypass valve disk looks also bubbled or darkened. The spring is fine and it sits right on top of the bad parts. It almost has to be factory error. Maybe it is sabotage. How could one filter brand have so many different defects. All seem to have happened after the new ownership. Or, as someone said, they never expected people would cut them open. I have a hunch Fram has tightened up qc since they see what the folks on here are doing.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I just find all of this rather strange. I'm am not stating that these filters weren't defective. But, it is crazy to believe that a filter attains rust in either a very, very short period of time or this these pieces were somehow allowed to go into production to begin with. There is another possibility in play here as well.
It would appear that the most likely scenario would seem to be these parts were allowed to be put into production. Which, without question should not have happened at all.
Having stated this, I am not sure what really happened here. I am not going to jump to a conclusive answer in regards to this circumstance. I just have a rather skeptical mind when it comes to ALL things and people anymore. People being first in line with whom I don't trust very much at all. In my way of being it is in the following hierarchy in which I feel about people in general. 1) To Like someone is the easiest by far. I like lots of different people and that's easiest to gain from me. 2) Respect is the next tier up.. harder to get that because I have to see who someone really is in different circumstances before I can respect them. 3) Trust is the hardest by far... not hardly many people earn this from me. I've learned the hard way about this. It's a terrible feeling to work with people and you don't trust nary a single one of them. It was that way for awhile when I worked at the hospital.
As this applies to this deal... I not sure what to think or believe here totally. I know from what I have observed with my own cut up oil filters from Purolator they were good across the board. But Car51s cut up Purolator filters have been showing a continued problem with the media near the metal seam. That is not good or acceptable by any measure. For me right now.... the jury is still out on Purolator. I will use the Purolator Boss filters for my lady's Camry and my car. We will see how they turn out..
As of right now I have these has my next filters to run.

??? I don't understand the need for a big portion of this post, specifically the part in bold. No one is perfect, and no one is so good that he or she can view others in a manner like that described in bold.

I go with the idea that the filter got wet, really wet somewhere down the line. Maybe it was on a truck that got swamped in those recent storms in the South, like that hurricane that was around Florida.

Ahh yeah I can view people in the manner I do. In fact I would suggest many people feel and look at other people in the same way. It's easy to like it even love others. Respect is gained through how you see them handle different circumstances. Trusting another person with something very important is not easily handed out. Ask yourself, how many people do you REALLY trust?? How many people would you tell something very very important too with no doubt that they wouldn't break your confidence?? I guruantee it's less than 10 and likely less than 5 people you would trust that much.

I don't look down my nose at anyone. In fact I'm hardest on myself not everyone around me. I just have been through some rather harsh stuff that GREATLY shook my faith in my fellow man. I am much more cautious now about people. It's not my nature to be like this. But life experience has just taught me a harsh lesson about just how low people can go.

The leaf spring is clean as a whistle, and it sits on top of and in contact with the end cap. It almost had to be assembled dry in this condition with the damage. The bypass valve has bubbles in it, water doesn't bubble phenolic. .

I was surprised to find, that Purolator have stopped using easy grip paint & raised the price on Pure One. Local Advance Auto Parts only had the cheapest filter for all my vehicles, rated at 5K miles, that would not last me over the winter. AAP had Purolator Boss in stock, but it was more than I needed (15K miles) & was same price as best Mobil 1 filter. After seeing the issues OP had, I'll be switching to another brand - I had great success with Amsoil before, but they're pricey. I'm thinking Mann or Wix now, maybe Bosch.

"Purerustolater"

Great! I have used the orange PureONE filter for years and then switched to the new "ONE" filter. Never had issues. Now I've got to figure out what is the "best" (defined by performance, features, price) oil filter for my stable again.
frown.gif

Years ago, I also cut open filters and was very surprised with the string around the middle and cardboard end caps among other things.

Seems like the BITOG forums like Wix, M1 and FRAM XG or UG filter the most.

Comments/suggestions??

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Great! I have used the orange PureONE filter for years and then switched to the new "ONE" filter. Never had issues. Now I've got to figure out what is the "best" (defined by performance, features, price) oil filter for my stable again.
frown.gif

Years ago, I also cut open filters and was very surprised with the string around the middle and cardboard end caps among other things.

Comments/suggestions??

In my opinion I'd suggest the Fram ultra. It has the performance and features of a M1 and RP at literally half the cost. No fiber endcaps btw. But that's just my preference. Purolator is what Fram was thought to be 10 years ago. They've really earned the forums respect for the short time that I've been here. Purolator has gone down the [censored] in terms of quality control. I wouldn't use them if they were free.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
frown.gif

Comments/suggestions??

In my opinion I'd suggest the Fram ultra. It has the performance and features of a M1 and RP at literally half the cost. No fiber endcaps btw. But that's just my preference. Purolator is what Fram was thought to be 10 years ago. They've really earned the forums respect for the short time that I've been here. Purolator has gone down the [censored] in terms of quality control. I wouldn't use them if they were free.

Thank you. I'll move to the Fram Ultra. Really disappointed in Purolator. Hopefully, Mann+Hummel will turn the ship around to where they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back