Purolator Pure One and Boss cut open RUST!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently put the new puro boss PL22500 on my f-150 ecoboost and before doing any research on it. Was looking for a fram ultra and found the boss so I decided to try it. Out of curiosity, I havent cut open a new puro yet so I went and bough a puro one. Couldnt find the boss anywhere I was at the time. What I found was astonishing.

Even the filter media looks old?? Is Mann+Hammel using puros old stock to save a couple bucks before they use good stuff?? Anyway this had me concerned. With only 1200 miles on the boss I went and bought an ultra. The lack of micron ratings posted concerns me as well when I can put an ultra on knowing exactly what im getting.

THE BOSS STILL HAS RUST. I wanted to be a puro fan with the boss but not with problems like this. Also note the ADB has cuts where the drain holes would go. They didnt go all the way through, but it makes you wonder how may did go through. What are yalls thoughts.

I really like purolator but [censored], it is starting to get harder trusting them every day. Maybe its time to move on... Were did you buy these?

Where did you "find" this Boss?

I've found RUSTY transmission filters before... old stock and a poor storage environment in a independent parts dealer. Parts stores, some do not control the humidity, and low volume movement.... and this happens.

Last edited:
Rust can happen, as mentioned, in a damp environment. But the condition of the media coupled with the rust tells me this filter has been sitting awhile.

[conspiracy theory] Cford13, any chance you could scrape the paint off to see if it's just a repainted older filter? [/conspiracy theory]

I bought the boss at a brand new one week old Advance auto parts. The puro one at a pep boys. And yes when I get time Kuato I will see if its re painted.

Repainted
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Trying to clear those 1970s filters out of the stores..

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: addyguy
WOW...just wow.

My thinking as well! Just crazy....

Same here ... seems like it's just one problem after another.

How many Purolator filters could be out there with rusted parts? If one person can pick up 2, it suggests it's going to be a lot.

For this to happen, at the very least, Purolator QA is effectively non existent. And management is negligent.

Rust on the base plate nearest the bypass valve. Conceivably, some of that rust could get into the engine.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Fram should be all over this one...'fibre end-caps don't rust!'

LOL!

A lot of money and effort was put into the "metal end cap is better" myth. BITOG has debunked that claim repeatedly

I'm glad I stopped using them when the torn pleats started showing up. Part of me was hoping they'd get their act together, but I said I'd still wait to see what problems if any started popping up with the new ones. Now it appears to be rust. I'm glad I waited and they won't see a dime of my money. I will continue using Fram and Mobil 1. Thanks for posting.

That filter isn't very old ... date code F08H08B1 say it was made on Aug 8, 2016.

Rust-O-Later

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
How many Purolator filters could be out there with rusted parts? If one person can pick up 2, it suggests it's going to be a lot.

For this to happen, at the very least, Purolator QA is effectively non existent. And management is negligent.

Don't really see that. I've got no opinion on Purolator filters, nor any use for one, since AFAIK I can't get them here, but rust in retail storage, which this could easily be, isn't necessarily directly under their control.

It could probably happen to any filter that uses steel components and is stored in conducive conditions.

It would be especially likely to happen in Taiwan, where humidity tends to be high. I wouldn't be surprised to see mildew on the paper media here either.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That filter isn't very old ... date code F08H08B1 say it was made on Aug 8, 2016.

Rust-O-Later

Rust-O-Sooner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back