S50B32 correct engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divided between mobil1 0W-40, Fuchs pro s 5w-40, and TWS castrol edge pro 10w-60.

Could you tell me which one is ester based and has the best protection for autox and tracks?

Thanks for reading.

10W-60 for hard use

No engine oil will be Ester based, it is ester containing and the spec is only API SL so I would question its wear performance. ( no phos limit on a 5W-40)

I had earlier referenced the Motuls in the mechanical forum. Xmax does contain significant but unknown amount of ester and that is reflected in its price which can be 50% higher than Xcess. But 300V in my experience can run double the Xcess.

I might use this engine oil since it is cheap and seems to meet PAO+Ester standards for the engine. What do you guys think? My oil change interval is 2-3k km. 5w-50 pao+ester takumi

Last edited:
Just ordered 7 quarts of redline high performance 5w-40 (NOT the Euro series) for my next oil change. Reason why I did not use local takumi was that they refused to provide MSDS sheet so I could not verify how much "hazardous" material is included in the oil which sorts of serves as basis to determine oil base. Since this oil is substantially thicker than group III oils, I will report on how it feels.

Originally Posted By: S50b32
Just ordered 7 quarts of redline high performance 5w-40 (NOT the Euro series) for my next oil change. Reason why I did not use local takumi was that they refused to provide MSDS sheet so I could not verify how much "hazardous" material is included in the oil which sorts of serves as basis to determine oil base. Since this oil is substantially thicker than group III oils, I will report on how it feels.

That is fine oil and will suit your M3 well.

Originally Posted By: S50b32

Why do you want a thicker 5W-40?

This engine was designed for 10W-40 and 15W-40 which are towards the higher 40 weight. In Europe, most seem to use 10W-60 when you track it because the engine is essentially the same block as S54B32 (E46 M3).

So I changed my engine oil today. Loved the fruity odor of redline 5w-40! Engine revs fine, and I noticed that for some reason redline 5w-40 rises to operating temp. faster than that of mobil 1 (5w-40) and normally operates at around 80-90C (14C outside). The correct amount for this engine if anyone wants to know is 6 quarts or 5.7L with a bit of leftover oil in the stock oil cooler to max out the gauge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back