Miles vs Time for Changing Gear Lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some companies say to change their gear lubes at 30k, 50K or 100K. If it takes years to get to those miles do you still just wait on the miles? Or do you change every 2, 3 5 years irregardless of miles?

For example on my Mom's car, I change her oil every 6 months. She has 3 mile trips and won't drive 1000 miles in a year. On one of my rarely driven cars I will change the oil at 1 year no matter how many miles.

First you might want to UOA your Mom's oil. Could have fuel dillution due to short trips.

Second I would divide the recommended mileage change intervals for gear lube by 15k and use that for how many years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephenbrown22
go with time.........your mom's car would take way over a hundred years to get to 100k on the odo.........that lube would be gel by then............or tar...............

ok, but how much time?

And my Mom's car doesn't have any gear lube. I was just using her oil change as an example of changing a fluid by time.

Originally Posted By: Donald
First you might want to UOA your Mom's oil. Could have fuel dillution due to short trips.

Second I would divide the recommended mileage change intervals for gear lube by 15k and use that for how many years.

I'm gonna be using both Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline. Every 5 years seem reasonable?

It all depends on service. Severe gear is a waste of money for a vehicle that doesn't tow or see high loads and is used for short trips.

For the sake of discussion, let's just say "severe service."

For a car driven 1,000 miles per year, I probably wouldn't change the differential fluid more than once every 10yrs/10K miles. You might even go to 15 yrs. It's not like she's racing it. You can change the diff fluid now or at 10 years then forget about it.

At 1,000 miles per year on a short tripper I'd run synthetic and change it annually. Virginia is fairly moderate. If this were Maine or Montana I might changed 2X per year too.

I made a mistake in giving too much info. I'm not talking about Mom's car. Her car doesn't use any gear oil. Her car is a 97 Buick. I'm talking about all cars in general.

I always understood the time factor to be an acid-building issue in engines. Gear lubes use acid compounds for protection, so time can not be a factor. I have drained 3, 15, and 20+ year old fills from diffs (all factory fills) and the difference appearance correlates with mileage on the lube...not time.
Please correct me (not with opinion) if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I always understood the time factor to be an acid-building issue in engines. Gear lubes use acid compounds for protection, so time can not be a factor. I have drained 3, 15, and 20+ year old fills from diffs (all factory fills) and the difference appearance correlates with mileage on the lube...not time.
Please correct me (not with opinion) if I'm wrong.

That's how I have always understood it too. There is no oil "breakdown" with time on gear lubes like with engine oil, it is a mileage only deal with the wear and tear of gears meshing that causes the breakdown.
When I did a gear oil change on my brother in laws '04 F150 with 156,000 miles, I wondered if he had recently had the fluid changed because it still looked almost new (he hadn't). Where my '02 F150 with 170,000 miles (unknown change history, but I think it had been changed at some point) came out pretty dark.

Then again, how many millions of vehicles drove how many hundreds of thousands of miles with dino gear oil without a problem?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
I made a mistake in giving too much info. I'm not talking about Mom's car. Her car doesn't use any gear oil. Her car is a 97 Buick. I'm talking about all cars in general.

No such thing. Every single recommendation is dependent upon service.

Define "severe service." Again, unless your differential is experiencing high loads (towing or racing,) severe gear fluid is over-kill. Either share with us what you need or anything recommended will be a waste of all of our times. This isn't rocket surgery, for crying out loud.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

No such thing. Every single recommendation is dependent upon service.

Define "severe service." Again, unless your differential is experiencing high loads (towing or racing,) severe gear fluid is over-kill. Either share with us what you need or anything recommended will be a waste of all of our times. This isn't rocket surgery, for crying out loud.

Nevermind
smile.gif

I realize this is going to sound like I do not maintain my vehicles but if I changed the fluids in my cars based on "years" I would be constantly changing fluids. I own several cars, some of which may not see more than 1000 miles per year. Because of that, I go by mileage and somewhat by time. I personally think time intervals are overkill and a waste of time, money and resources.

I do keep a log on my computer of everything I do to my vehicles.

I used to have a 2006 Ford Explorer. Every 6 months the change oil light would kick on. I'm thinking, "The oil only has 1000 miles on it, why am I supposed to change it?". Then I realized the change oil light not only kicks on based on mileage but also a timer. I just reset the light.

I read somewhere brake fluid should be changed every 2 years because it's hydroscopic. Really? My Subaru is 14 years old and I've never changed the brake fluid and the brakes work just fine.

Plus, how can you actually "change" brake fluid? You can flush the brake lines, but unless you remove the caliper and turn it upside down to actually drain it, how can you possibly get the old brake fluid out?

I don't change the brake fluid every 2 years in any of my other cars and seldom have any problems. I do from time to time, suck the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster and add fresh fluid if it looks black.

The Fiat Spider seems to be an exception for some reason. Last year I had an issue where the brake hoses collapsed and would not allow fluid to get to the front calipers. Usually when a brake hose collapses it does the opposite and locks the calipers up, not restricts flow to the calipers. I had to replace the ones on my van. But I don't think not replacing brake fluid every 2 years is what causes brake hoses to collapse. Rear brake hoses seldom give any problems. I guess because they are not constantly twisted like the fronts.

But keep in mind these cars are stored in a garage. I think if a vehicle is kept outside, this could be a factor.

My 14 year old Subaru Baja has 78,000 miles on it. This car is driven very little between March and November and sits in my garage. I prefer to drive my "classic" cars during the summer months. 1980 Fiat 124 Spider, 1981 Trabant 601, 1987 Citroen 2CV, 1987 Yugo, 1968 Ford Fairlane.

Subaru recommends changing the transmission and differential lubes every 30,000 miles. Actually I thought you could go 60,000 miles until I read the owner's manual!

I changed the transmission and differential oils out at around 75,000 miles for the first time. The oils were not dirty and did not find that much metal shavings attached to the magnetic drain plugs.

The differential oil in my 68 Ford Fairlane with 56,000 miles on it seems to be what came from the factory! The vent clogged up on the differential and was blowing out of the pinion seal. Once that was unclogged I topped it off.

I think the differential oil in my Chevy van is original with 143,000 miles on it and I'm going to change it out for the first time.

If you read my other posts, it seems I was having some issue with the transmission on my van but I think it was due to mileage. Dad used to own this van but could not remember when the filter was changed last.

Here is my logic:

Engine oil: Usually every 5000 miles on my Subaru and Chevy Van.
All others: About every 3 years or whenever the oil looks black
The Trabant: It's a 2 stroke so the oil "changes" itself!
Lawnmowers: Every 50 hours

Gear oils: Every 30,000 miles

I cannot say I have ever had some sort of failure from not changing the fluids based on age.

One more thing. The tire industry says to replace tires every 6 years. Once again if the vehicle is kept inside a garage, that should not be an issue. The tires on my Subaru are going on 9 years and still seem plyable.

I did replace the 15 year old Nankangs on my Fiat Spider because they seemed to be rock hard and would get squirrely on wet roads.

Opinions will vary..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back